All caps in Mellel

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Dougray
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by Dougray »

I've just purchased Mellel (via Macupdate sale!), and I'm jumping into this thread a bit late, but I'm concerned that this feature has yet to be implemented in Mellel, and perhaps even more concerned about the confusion between small caps/all caps. Even outside of screenwriting, and in the strictly academic world of APA-style writing, all caps are needed for some of the heading levels. It's needed as a style option because if I switch from a 2 Head to a 1 Head (or is that now 1 Head to a 5 Head? I can never keep that straight), I need my u&lc heading to go to all caps (and vice-versa). I don't want to have to remember to do this manually.

Doug
ochsenmeier

Post by ochsenmeier »

I find the lack of Change Case feature (irrespective of the Small Caps or All Caps difference) extremely annoying. I have a whole page of text of text that some University asked to be in all caps to change by copy-paste into OpenOffice back to Mellel. Such basic feature should be present in a word processor.
Being still in the process of evaluating Mellel, this and other problems (confusing Style setup compared to Framemaker and InDesign, or even LaTeX for that matter, lack of clear interaction with Devon, etc.) to make me think twice.

Ochs.
Education
joewiz
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by joewiz »

ochsenmeier wrote:I find the lack of Change Case feature (irrespective of the Small Caps or All Caps difference) extremely annoying.
Don't despair - according to another forum posting I read, Ori said that this would come soon after the recent 2.1 update - so it should just be a matter of time.
ochsenmeier

Post by ochsenmeier »

Ok, if I can get that (plus cross-referencing and indexing, and DT) I'll be happier.
Erwin
Education
Hans-Reinhard Koch
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: It's going to be there, soon...

Post by Hans-Reinhard Koch »

Ori Redler wrote:Options like small caps (the fake kind), all caps, etc. are essentially the same thing: You replace, while typing, a certain key stroke with another keystroke, while still keeping the original keystroke in memory. It's the same problem and the same solution for all of those.
Ori
Hi Ori, that is exactly the way case is handled in 2.1.2. Case is a variation of character appearance. but original case is kept in memory. That way there is no way to change All Caps to lower case or Title case. Eg when All caps text is pasted into a Mellel doc and you really want lower case. Or when you have typed some time unaware that your CapsLock was down. What about an option that really changes the case between All caps, lower case, title case. Small caps here is a different story and probably handled better with opentype fonts.

Hans-Reinhard
Hans-Reinhard Koch, Bonn, Germany