List item with multiple paragraphs

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

zoul
Knows everything, can prove it

List item with multiple paragraphs

Post by zoul »

Hello!

I have to typeset a list that contains multiple paragraphs inside single list item, like this:

• Youthing blues to does ways vary that twant trys pulls bends.
   Feelineslike it s syncopatic root and as diffs he lines aboves. Ithat
   cliches root are you forget to both three put and.

Areas founternation but wang licks they from horribly and and
   again. Theyhelp back bass but walking walking that lots pause
   hammers playing. Aon thing of of are and he are liches any when.

Itline simples be and executed rock andy founterpoint on it don.
   Fromtherently can it one horribly bass roover two horribly of and.
   Youlines from countrys and bass be that to to son help.

• Youthing blues to does ways vary that twant trys pulls bends.
   Feelineslike it s syncopatic root and as diffs he lines aboves. Ithat
   cliches root are you forget to both three put and.

What is the best way to do this in Mellel? Please note that I would like the inner paragraphs to remain indented, a part of the list, so that I can’t simply turn just the bulleted paragraphs into a list. (Well, I can, but I would like a nicer solution.)
nicka

Post by nicka »

You can create a list style where level one has a bullet, and level two has no symbol. On the second level, set "Symbol type" to "blank", "symbol format" to "none" and margin, indent and symbol position all to 0. You have to play around with the indentation of the first level to get the second level paragraphs to sit right under the text for the first.

I set up my lists so that level one has a symbol, level 2 has no symbol, level 3 has another symbol, level 4 has no symbol and so on. This means at each indentation you have the choice of text marked with a symbol or text that is not marked but is still part of the list.

Hope that helps. I posted about this here before, but I can't find the thread now.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Actually, the best way to achieve this is to insert a "Line Break" between paragraphs in the same list item. You can either insert this through the "Insert > Break > Line Break" menu entry, or via the keyboard shortcut (Shift + Return in the US keymapping).

Either method inserts the same character, and is the method also used in any other Cocoa application I can think of for line breaks in similar situations. (I use this in Word, Pages and TextEdit all to similar effect.)

(BTW, what you use to generate copy for the example, or where did you find it? I love the filler nature of it, and find it a bit better than the standard Lorem Ipsum …)
— Robert Cameron
zoul

Post by zoul »

rpcameron wrote:Actually, the best way to achieve this is to insert a "Line Break" between paragraphs in the same list item.
I don’t like that solution, because then all the “paragraphs” are actually one paragraph and I cannot switch the paragraph style in the middle.
rpcameron wrote:(BTW, what you use to generate copy for the example, or where did you find it? I love the filler nature of it, and find it a bit better than the standard Lorem Ipsum …)
Yep, that’s my Turkey :) I did not touch it in quite a while and I don’t think it runs on Intel Macs, but You can give it a try anyway.
zoul

Post by zoul »

nicka wrote:I set up my lists so that level one has a symbol, level 2 has no symbol, level 3 has another symbol, level 4 has no symbol and so on. This means at each indentation you have the choice of text marked with a symbol or text that is not marked but is still part of the list.
That’s it, thank You. Just when I thought my meticulously crafted styles were already as precious as my house. Must not forget to backup styles, must not forget to backup styles, must not forget to backup styles, must not…
jolinwarren
Read the guide!

Post by jolinwarren »

zoul wrote:
rpcameron wrote:Actually, the best way to achieve this is to insert a "Line Break" between paragraphs in the same list item.
I don’t like that solution, because then all the “paragraphs” are actually one paragraph and I cannot switch the paragraph style in the middle.
I also have found this not to be a great solution because all the 'paragraphs' are treated as one paragraph (which I seem to recall has had other unwanted side-effects when I've tried this in the past).

nicka's idea sounds like it would work for me (thanks! it will be very useful), but it would be nice to have a non-hack way of achieving this. Maybe the Redlers can come up with a better solution in a future version of Mellel?
rwg

Post by rwg »

rpcameron wrote: (BTW, what you use to generate copy for the example, or where did you find it? I love the filler nature of it, and find it a bit better than the standard Lorem Ipsum …)
You may also like to try the Dashboard widget "Corporate Ipsum":

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboar ... ipsum.html

Rolf