Leopard: no longer the brushed metal look

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

ptram
Knows everything, can prove it

Leopard: no longer the brushed metal look

Post by ptram »

Eh eh eh eh... I guess this will revive some ancient discussions :-)
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

Interesting. Will the Redlers provide a new GUI for Mellel that will follow the GUI of Leopard or will Mell keep the same look as it has today?
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
FA1

Post by FA1 »

Well the Aqua should really be the default and used for screenshots anyway. A brushed metal option can remain for crazy people. 8)
Phil82

Post by Phil82 »

From my very limited Cocoa programming experience, all that is needed to change the look of an application from Aqua to Metal to Unified Titlebar is just a tick in the checkbox.

I'm sure updating Mellel to the new Leopard look and feel won't be too hard.
miles11

Post by miles11 »

Preferences>Appearance tab>User Interface menu
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Yes, there's a switch in Interface Builder to switch off the "textured" windows. Yes, there is an option in the preferences. But neither of these avenues create a window and interface for Mellel that makes it fit in with a true Aqua (or Unified) desktop.

What I believe is being called for is a redesign of Mellel's windows. Perhaps something that will make use of NSToolBar (so we can customize our toolbars, rearrange icons or optionally hide it). Also, a QuickLook plugin to allow for quick browsing of files and live icon previews in the Finder (as well as allowing for iChatTheater integration).

I personally would love to see Mellel finally get rid of the brushed metal window, and come out with something that truly fits in with the Mac desktop. Up until now, it has been reminiscent of running Nisus Classic in System 7.5. I think it's about time that Mellel finally had a real face lift.
— Robert Cameron
digimarkus
Already downloaded the guide

Post by digimarkus »

rpcameron wrote: I think it's about time that Mellel finally had a real face lift.
I agree, and I hope that the next version (or at least a new version with the release of leopard) will address this issue.

- Mark
nicka

Post by nicka »

This has to be a lower priority than a lot of features that are still lacking. Good design is as much or more about function than form. There are some bits of bad user interface design in Mellel (e.g. the non-resizable FindSet dialogue; no multiple selection in the auto-title dialogue) but the overall look doesn't generally get in the way of using the features that are there.

I'll take cross-references, auto-updating TOC and indexes over a customisable toolbar anyday.