Developers' Feedback on the forum

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Do we want the developers' interaction back on the forum?

Yes, lets have the Redlers back
90%
No, I have given up
10%

Total votes: 29

Hans-Reinhard Koch
Knows everything, can prove it

Developers' Feedback on the forum

Post by Hans-Reinhard Koch »

I would like to quote what Timotheus recently wrote on the topic of NW Pro:
And what's worse: the discussions on this forum have become rather useless, because they have lost any connection with the actual development of the program.
Yes, indeed, our forum has become a bit detached from our developers. E. g.: Ori's last contribution to the forum was on May 18, and he posted only 14 contributions since Jan 25, 2007. There was a time when he regularly commented from the developer's point of view and it was always helpful, intelligent and gave us an idea where our preferred WP was heading.

There were lots of polls about wanted features, assumed shortcomings etc. and there was no feed-back from the horse's mouth. Sure, we understand that the problems encountered in the two most desired fields of innovation for Mellel, i. e. Xrefs and indexing, may be gigantic and may take up all the time of the developers. But please, stop ignoring your faithful users on the forum.

Hans-Reinhard
Hans-Reinhard Koch, Bonn, Germany
zoul

Re: Developers' Feedback on the forum

Post by zoul »

Hans-Reinhard Koch wrote:Sure, we understand that the problems encountered in the two most desired fields of innovation for Mellel, i. e. Xrefs and indexing, may be gigantic and may take up all the time of the developers.
I think that the problems are not related to programming, at least not directly. Even Ori said that somewhere in the cross-referencing discussion, if I remember correctly. I wish the developers could say something more about it. What’s wrong? Is there something we users could do to get the development going again?
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

I think it is wrong to say something like "developement is not going any more". It is just the fact that developement is not going on that fast as it was in the past. I'm also not lucky about the long time we all have to wait for lots of wanted features. But it is better to be patient and wait and than have well implemented feature instead of a buggy application I personally think.
Reiner
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

Hans-Reinhard Koch wrote:
There were lots of polls about wanted features, assumed shortcomings etc. and there was no feed-back from the horse's mouth. Sure, we understand that the problems encountered in the two most desired fields of innovation for Mellel, i. e. Xrefs and indexing, may be gigantic and may take up all the time of the developers. But please, stop ignoring your faithful users on the forum.

Hans-Reinhard
Point taken... I will try to touch upon the issue of Cross reference (which is now in the works) soon.

Ori
Ori Redler from RedleX
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Well, yes, thank you for that … But cross-references are not exactly the only topic that has been discussed on this forum in recent times …

But the message is clear!
Normand
Already downloaded the guide

Post by Normand »

Ori Redler wrote:
Point taken... I will try to touch upon the issue of Cross reference (which is now in the works) soon.

Ori

Thank you for your concern.

Normand Beaudoin
Dept. Physics and astronomy.
U of Moncton
ppnkg
Read the guide!

Post by ppnkg »

my two cents on the topic...

I had noticed the developer's absence from the forum discussions and for a while I was a bit concerned...but I though a little more about it and I decided I shouldn't.

Mellel is a mature product now and the developers know very very well what absolutely needs to be added (xrefs etc). It is also a successful product, so there's no way development could be stopped - unless of course there's another reason not related at all with development, you know what sort...So I assumed (I still do) that some hard work must be going on behind the silence. And good things take time.

As for forum discussions, well, nearly every thread involves something that can be handled by the users...nothing too serious for the developers to step in. As for request-related threads, everybody knows that each one of us could come up with an idea about a feature etc and fire up a discussion - developers only need to take notice of the threads, no need for them to post comments.

That said, the guys should let us know from time to time about the state of play behind the scenes.
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

ppnkg wrote: That said, the guys should let us know from time to time about the state of play behind the scenes.
A point also taken...
Ori Redler from RedleX