Is it possible to mix note-streams?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Bensch
Read the guide!

Is it possible to mix note-streams?

Post by Bensch »

Hi!

In my thesis, I've planned to use 2 note streams: one for plain references, which is numbered, and one for comments, marked with asteriscs (*, **, *** etc.)

(I do this to let the reader know what is expecting her, additional information or just a reference.)

What I'd like to do (or to try at least), is to mix these two streams, eg:

23) ref.
24) another ref.
* this is a comment, which is normally longer and may contain a citation with ref. aswell
25) ref.
** this is another comment, which is normally longer and may contain a citation with ref. aswell
26) ref.
27) ref.

I'm not sure which way would be better for the reader (notes first, comments afterwards, comments first, or mixed if possible), but I would like to try all present options.

So here again my question: is it possible to mix the streams or not?

Thanks,

Bensch
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

I'm afraid the notes will not mix. As of now, the notes at the bottom of the page or end of document are grouped together by their stream.
IMO, they are much easier to use that way and that's why they're ordered that way but we may be wrong, what do other people think?
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
Bensch
Read the guide!

Post by Bensch »

in my case, I guess it depends on the reader:

a reader that just wants to read the comments, not the refs will be glad to find all the comments grouped together at the bottom of the page.

a reader that really reads all of the notes may be confused because I bet his eyes first jump to the reference notes where he won't find the asterisc he's looking for.

so as a writer i'd have the dilemma how to order my note-streams anyway.
it's just a matter of options at my disposal.

bensch
hrashid
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by hrashid »

I agree that having the option to mix would be better. I think it may also address the problem I was having regarding references and Bookends when references live in two note streams.
Reiner
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Reiner »

I think in most cases the grouped display would be better. But that's only my personal opinion. So adding the ability to mix the note streams would be great because this would enable the individual user to decide what he/she wants. And that is (whenever possible) the best way I think.
Reiner
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I prefer the present 'grouped' organization, which however could be enhanced in various ways: white space between different groups of footnotes, horizontal grouping of footnotes etc. etc. But all this has already been discussed many times, and there is no need to repeat it.
laup

Mixing streams

Post by laup »

Personally, I use footnotes (*, etc.) at the bottom of pages for items that the reader should see at the time, and endnotes (1, 2,...) for nonessential comments and notes that include citations not given in the text itself. I believe that intermixing streams is not very aesthetic or helpful, but these things are all subjective.
Paul