Feat Request: Page (Style) Break option in Paragraph Style

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

fastmiso
Already downloaded the guide

Feat Request: Page (Style) Break option in Paragraph Style

Post by fastmiso »

I had asked about how to do this in the other forum. Since Mellel can't do it now, I wonder if anyone else would be interested in having this feature added:

I want to tell a Paragraph Style to always start on a new page; that is, to have a Page Break built into its beginning.

I also want to assign a Page Style Break to a Paragraph Style? That way a "Chapter Title" Paragraph Style could allow you to automatically suppress the page header on the first page of a chapter.

The problem (for me) with manually inserted Page (Style) Breaks is that I always end up deleting them when organizing or deleting whitespace.

Thanks.
ptram
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Feat Request: Page (Style) Break option in Paragraph Style

Post by ptram »

I find a page break in the paragraph style very useful - even if I would like manual exceptions are allowed.
For example, while I want the rule for a Heading 2 title is to start on a new page, there are very short section where two or three of them can fit a single page, and it is more pleasing having them all in the same page, without wasting white space and paper.

Paolo
macula
Knows everything, can also explain

Post by macula »

I concur in the OP's request that page breaks be allowed within paragraph styles. Anything that allows a greater degree of abstraction and synthesis in style design is very welcome.
Last edited by macula on Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DylanMuir

Post by DylanMuir »

Yep, this is a request that has been made often in the past. I am heartily in support.
DRM
ozean

Post by ozean »

Strangely enough, you can set these kinds of breaks – but only in the Auto-Style options, not with paragraph styles. I guess I would expect this option to be part of a paragraph style? Or are there any good reasons why this option would be part of Auto-Styles rather than paragraph styles?
DylanMuir

Post by DylanMuir »

You can set them for autotitles — sort of. Breaks are inserted when you add a new autotitle, and aren't attached to each autotitle itself. They are free to float around the document, unfortunately.

DRM
euanmckay
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by euanmckay »

(bump)
Would be nice to have proper "start on new page", "start on new right page", "start on new left page" properly associated with a paragraph style.