discontinuous selection

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

goch@unb.ca
New to all this

discontinuous selection

Post by goch@unb.ca »

Am I correct that Mellel does not allow discontinuous selection(s) -- i.e. selection of several passages separated by text that is not selected? If it does allow it, I haven't found the keystrokes or mousings that work.

I find such a feature particularly useful when I need to add styles to a converted document. Often the headings or other text I want to select have no obviously searchable features in common, so I have to do it by hand. Selecting several passages and then applying the style all at once helps speed things up and reduce errors.

Myron
Myron Gochnauer
UNB Law
Canada
Timotheus
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: discontinuous selection

Post by Timotheus »

You are right: the present version of Mellel doesn't allow discontinuous selection. This is another much requested feature.
nFamily
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by nFamily »

I tend to use paragraph style for applying text style as well as paragraph style. Instead of clicking in the palettes, I make sure there is a text style associated with the paragraph style and then apply it to the first paragraph. Then I use Edit:Copy Special: Paragraph Attributes to get that attribute on the clipboard and then simply click on the paragraphs I want to convert the styles of and hit command-v. The way I work, it seems that it is a bit faster and less tension (as I don't like not seeing all my selections on the screen). This way I get immediate confirmation of changes and don't have to worry about accidentally deselecting off screen sections...
Benja
Read the guide!

Post by Benja »

That's a good tip nFamily, but discontinuous selection is pretty basic. We've been doing it in Word and the Finder for years. I think it ought to be a priority.