Bug? Random crashes when I press F5

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

abusadito
Got the styles thing figured out

Bug? Random crashes when I press F5

Post by abusadito »

I hope this is just a minor thing that can be addressed and solved easy...

While working and selecting a new font variation via the F keys, Mellel will randomly crash when I press F5 and only F5. It seems to be more 'predictable' if I first select some text, then apply a new Character style and then a font variation to a portion of the text, say a word. I have sent a crash report via the automatic crash report, but I think that gets sent to Apple not the Redlers.

Any suggestions of a way to try and narrow it down or send a better crash report to the Redlers so it can get taken care of?

Thank you. I'm starting to love Mellel more and more despite some shortcomings that I try and work around (like no line numbers and not too stellar RTF import), but if it starts to crash as often as MS W I will have to abandon it soon. I'm about to start importing a long article and will be changing Paragraphs, Character styles and other attributes that I worked so long to get right.

Thanks!
-benito
verma
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Bug? Random crashes when I press F5

Post by verma »

I suspect you'd better send a crash report to the Redlex folks. You could also send your document to them, if there's nothing too top secret in it.

I don't have this behaviour (in Leopard), for the record.
jb
Read the guide, knows everything

Post by jb »

This doesn't happen for me either.
Are you sure there isn't something else in the mix?
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

abusadito wrote:I hope this is just a minor thing that can be addressed and solved easy...

While working and selecting a new font variation via the F keys, Mellel will randomly crash when I press F5 and only F5. It seems to be more 'predictable' if I first select some text, then apply a new Character style and then a font variation to a portion of the text, say a word. I have sent a crash report via the automatic crash report, but I think that gets sent to Apple not the Redlers.

Any suggestions of a way to try and narrow it down or send a better crash report to the Redlers so it can get taken care of?

Thank you. I'm starting to love Mellel more and more despite some shortcomings that I try and work around (like no line numbers and not too stellar RTF import), but if it starts to crash as often as MS W I will have to abandon it soon. I'm about to start importing a long article and will be changing Paragraphs, Character styles and other attributes that I worked so long to get right.

Thanks!
If you could send us a report, detailing the problem as much as possible, that would help ineeed.
Ori Redler from RedleX
abusadito

Post by abusadito »

Ori Redler wrote:
If you could send us a report, detailing the problem as much as possible, that would help ineeed.
Ori, I just sent a report (yesterday I think) via the Mellel Support form. I hope I was clear on how and what is happening and that the crash report dump is helpful.

I want to say thank you in advanced for all your work. Where else can you find this level of user support in the software world? Anyway, so far the problem seems to be more or less isolated to a certain instance as I detailed in the message.

Cheers!
-benito
abusadito

Re: Bug? Random crashes when I press F5 (fixed?)

Post by abusadito »

Now that the semester is over, I have had a chance to methodically attempt to back trace some of the things I did prior to finding the apparent bug that caused Mellel to crash.

After many hours of experimentation and trying to remember what I had installed in what order and what I had modified, I think I found the culprit as--after fixing it--have not been able to make Mellel crash :D

So here is what I found: at some point after installing Menu Master (by unsanity) I had programed a key-bind in Keyboard Maestro to simulate pressing F5 (to achieve a character style variation which I had assigned as underlined) when I pressed Command+U. Then it seemed that after erasing that macro (which I did not found to be doing what I wanted properly) I either programed with Menu Master a key-bind that used F5 or Menu Master assigned F5 to Underline (but not as a character variation but as and ad hoc character modification). Either way, I found that strange key-bind and deleted it via Menu Master's control panel available in the system preferences. I also deleted most of the other shortcuts that I had created with Menu Master (one of which also would cause Mellel to crash once in a while). So far Melle is not crashing again!

Lesson learned? Perhaps Menu Master seems to be problematic and not play well with Mellel. It is possible, then, that Menu Master does have to potential of wreaking applications. Be careful with it.

I the problem pops it ugly head again, I will report.

Cheers!
-benito
rwg

Post by rwg »

You are right about Menu Master not playing well with Mellel. I have had problems too and have added Mellel to the Exclude List in the Menu Master preference pane (Mellel being the only application that has required this drastic action).

Rolf
Cattus Thraex

Re: Bug? Random crashes when I press F5 (fixed?)

Post by Cattus Thraex »

Your problem has nothing to do with Mellel, but with Menu Master, reportedly not yet compatible with Leo. I would warmly recommend to not use such apps, they go deep into the system, and may often cause more harm than benefits.
Cattus pulchrum atque gratiosum animal est, thraece et dacoromanice motan appelatur
nvalvo
Read the guide, knows everything

Post by nvalvo »

Unsanity is beginning to acquire a bit of a reputation for their use of what are called "Input Managers." Cf. the debate about Sandvox's crash reporter a year or two back.