The all new Mellel

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

ptram
Knows everything, can prove it

The all new Mellel

Post by ptram »

Well,

The Redlers are so quiet, from some time, that I doubt they are just doing bug fixing. My bet is that we will see a deeply renewed Mellel. All considered, Leopard removed the brushed metal look, and this alone should force them to rethink the whole GUI.

What do you think we will see in the new Mellel? Will it look exactly like the current one, or will it exhibit a totally new appearance? And, will severe architectural changes take place?

Hints, hints.

Paolo
Last edited by ptram on Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

I don't want make any speculations about the future Mellel. I only want to say, that I don't think Mellel's GUI has to be generally regthought. There are some minor improvements possible of course. But in general the GUI is better than most I know from other applications.
Reiner
shades

Post by shades »

If there are substantial changes, I hope this will be the last such change. Part of the productivity with any app is to be able to do the same thing in the same way every time. Our minds/hands get coordinated in certain ways. So, looks can change if it will help, but placement within a GUI is another matter, unless it can be shown that the movement is positive in the long run.

From someone who likes tradition. :D
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

There might come some minor tweaks, but I'm almost sure that in the forseeable future Mellel's UI will basically remain as it is.

This is what I think. And there is also something that I hope. I hope that, once the long-awaited new version with cross-references will be out, for some time the Redlers will invest their efforts not in implementing other big new features, like for instance indexing, which might keep us waiting for another year, but in a quick series of minor maintenance updates. Many existing features are waiting to be improved, and are waiting since a long time.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

There might come some minor tweaks, but I'm almost sure that in the forseeable future Mellel's UI will basically remain as it is.

This is what I think. And there is also something that I hope. I hope that, once the long-awaited new version with cross-references will be out, for some time the Redlers will invest their efforts not in implementing other big new features, like for instance indexing, which might keep us waiting for another year, but in a quick series of minor maintenance updates. Many existing features are waiting to be improved, and are waiting since a long time.
gpolberd

No major GUI change needed

Post by gpolberd »

I have to concur with the majority here that Mellel's GUI is much better, more organized and streamlined than the other word-processors I've used, so no major GUI changes are needed (and hopefully are not being implemented in the long-awaited update). There are so many minor changes, fixes, that are more demanding of attention. Obviously, a lot of us are eager for an update.
shmulik
Already downloaded the guide

Post by shmulik »

The brushed metal can already be turned off--and the interface is really fantastic compared to NWP/NWE (just terrible) and Word (even worse). As far as I can tell, the glaring absence with Mellel--as the supposed scholarly/multilingual word processor--is a way of elegantly handling truly multilingual spell-checking... (the real area in which Nisus shines... but I'm willing to put up with the few extra spelling errors you get thanks to the Apple multilingual dictionary in order to use Mellel) Other than that, I would be happy with some minor tweaks (non-contiguous text selection... things like that... Maybe a "Save as PDF" without entering the Print dialogue, some keyboard shortcuts...)

But of course, I love new stuff, and I trust the Redlers to keep it simple and make it better. So any changes will probably be great, if past experience tells us anything.
aechallu

Post by aechallu »

I believe Mellel needs some thorough thinking in the GUI front. I'd particularly like to see a better full screen and compact view modes, streamlining and balancing of menus, elimination of modal windows for autotitles, shortcut customization, use of a simple, in-window search feature (in addition to the very good find/replace window), rethinking of the toolbar and bottom bar.

I think these are evolutionary changes. And I have to say that when I switch to Leopard I think I will miss the brushed metal frame. I don't use the toolbar or ruler, so the simplicity of the metal frame and the white window gets me into 'typewriter' mode. Nothing flashy, just work.

Yet, I think a more radical change would help Mellel marketing-wise. I have the impression Mellel has lost momentum. The ongoing Nissus vs Mellel discussion in the scrivener forum shows users that have gone astray because of Mellel GUI approach. Some major lift up of the interface (while keeping the basic functionality for the core users) may bring new users and old ones back to the fold, which ultimately is important to the survival of the product in the long run.
ID
Got the styles thing figured out

Font managing

Post by ID »

The more fonts you have, the more time you spend in finding the one you need. Since Mellel doesn't use the Mac os x Font Book, I would appreciate a font menu with sub-menus or something to organize the fonts, so you can jump to your favorite font, say, zwyz, without pulling down the whole menu.

Other related feature that could be useful: the possibility to add more language-related default fonts. Actually, you have the first default font and one secondary font, not more. Since I regularly use more than two alphabets in the same document (=that's why I use Mellel), it would be fine to have two or more script-activated secondary fonts.

ID
- using Roman, Greek and Hebrew alphabets