Where are cross references / text flow around images?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

ablaze
Already downloaded the guide

Re: Where are cross references / text flow around images?

Post by ablaze »

mbywater wrote:
Phil82 wrote:Nisus? Can't track changes, doesn't offer comments.
afaik, Nisus Writer Pro 1.1 which is in private beta at the moment, will support comments that are preserved when opened in Word (NWP is using RTF as its standard file format).
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

Timotheus wrote:Mellel is not dead; but something is definitely going wrong at Mellel's headquarters. Where is the enthousiastic Ori we used to know? In recent times, he hardly seems to have visited this forum. Where are the newsletters that we used to receive at regular intervals, full of plans, suggestions and promises? Where are the lively discussions about all kinds of topics on this forum? They all have gone since a long time, and God only knows if they will ever come back.

It's a pity, it's a great pity. For Mellel is a great application. Despite a series of shortcomings and lacking features, it's absolutely invaluable, especially for academic use. And I would be happy to pay $ 200 a year for an academic-features-complete (so to say) version of Mellel that was regularly updated.

The success of applications like Scrivener and Bookends is partly explained by the fact that Keith and Jon are always there to help, to answer, to discuss. Mellel too used to have a Keith or a Jon; but he seems to have left for an unknown destination.

Sometimes I get the feeling that the Redler brothers in recent times have discovered other things in life, and that they would be happy to bring their Mellel adventure to an end. If this should be the case, then they should simply tell us; then we would all know where we are up to.

Well, action will speak louder than words and you'll see some of this soon (next week, with a small update) and later this month when 2.5 enters beta...
Ori Redler from RedleX
daiyi
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by daiyi »

Thanks for the update, Ori. Looking forward to the update and 2.5 beta later this month.
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

Timotheus wrote:Mellel is not dead; but something is definitely going wrong at Mellel's headquarters. Where is the enthousiastic Ori we used to know? In recent times, he hardly seems to have visited this forum. Where are the newsletters that we used to receive at regular intervals, full of plans, suggestions and promises? Where are the lively discussions about all kinds of topics on this forum? They all have gone since a long time, and God only knows if they will ever come back.
At least for the lively discussions it can't be said that God (or Ori :wink: ) knows if they will come back or even is responsible for them. It's about all of us to discuss things lively and deeply if these discussions are needed and not to discuss if there is no need for.
Timotheus wrote:It's a pity, it's a great pity. For Mellel is a great application. Despite a series of shortcomings and lacking features, it's absolutely invaluable, especially for academic use. And I would be happy to pay $ 200 a year for an academic-features-complete (so to say) version of Mellel that was regularly updated.
On the one hand, yes, sad that the forum is a bit slower at the moment than it used to be. But on the other hand: What waste of time forums could imply (they even can change an intersted user to an internet/news junkie).

I would be happy if could happily paid 200$ a year for an application. But I can't and won't.
Reiner
Marco
Read the guide!

Post by Marco »

I think there is a fundamental difference between an application developed by a huge corporation, and an app developed by two brothers. The great corporation is not affected by health problems, by chenges in life, and so on. An individual is. The good thing, he is also affected by what I say and I do.
A few months ago, when I stumbled on a paid upgrade that I didn't really need, I decided to postpone upgrading. Based on the principle that I purchase an app for what it offers now, I thought I would do that when Mellel actually offered cross references. I have not changed that principle.
However, while reading this thread, I decided to upgrade immediately, to express my encouragment and my trust that cross references will come out. Keep on the good work, Ori!

Marco
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

Ori Redler wrote: Well, action will speak louder than words and you'll see some of this soon (next week, with a small update) and later this month when 2.5 enters beta...
Thanks for the 2.2.7.2. Now it's only the beta of Mellel 2.5 that needs to come out before February turns to March later this week. :wink:
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
miles11

Post by miles11 »

macsailor wrote: Now it's only the beta of Mellel 2.5 that needs to come out before February turns to March later this week. :wink:

Well yes. And, of course, there's that little free application Ori said would be available "shortly". Wonder what it was, and if it's ever going to appear...
ptram

Post by ptram »

In the same time the Redlers make a single perfectly working upgrade with a few new useful features, Microsoft is out with a totally new suite with less features than before, running slower, with more bugs.

It is obvious that bigger corporations have more personnel - and this is not necessarily a good thing...

Paolo
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

miles11 wrote:Well yes. And, of course, there's that little free application Ori said would be available "shortly". Wonder what it was, and if it's ever going to appear...
You mean the application mentioned in the latest newsletter?
Mellel's Newsletter #26 -- 31-July-2007

Our Mystery Product -- We also plan to release in the near future a nice little application -- free for all. The application will is called PakaPaka Studio and, while we'll keep it shrouded in mystery for the time being, I can assure you that it will produce nothing that is useful, and that would be the reason for its usefulness... :-)
I personally, at the time the newsletter was published, considered it to be regarded as some kind of a joke, not as a real product. Maybe I was wrong, but I do not thinks so and I believe that the time has proven me right on this one.

But apart from this I believe that we all will end up quite satisfied with the new upcoming version of Mellel 2.5 (at least I hope so). Come on Redlers, bring it on … it's more or less the end of February now. :)
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
transalpin
Read the guide!

Post by transalpin »

Mellel's Newsletter #26 -- 31-July-2007

Our Mystery Product -- We also plan to release in the near future a nice little application -- free for all. The application will is called PakaPaka Studio and, while we'll keep it shrouded in mystery for the time being, I can assure you that it will produce nothing that is useful, and that would be the reason for its usefulness... :-)
I’m not getting the joke, if it is one. My guess was some Lorem ipsum (or PakaPaka) filling text generator that would facilitate experimenting with styles and layout.
spinningdoc
Read the guide, knows everything

Post by spinningdoc »

limitations of the RTF-format (e.g. paragraph styles, and living headers); it's not Mellels fault
Well they are really, at least as far the killer for me is concerned: Mellel styles not carrying over to Word. Pages for instance manages it (though I agree 'exporting' rather than 'saving as' is a pain).

Michael Bywater's right: in the end, everyone wants things in Word, and most of us have to bounce documents back and forth a few times with Word users. Pages can retain styles, comments, and tracking, and is actually rather nice to use. Mellel's stable and renders beautifully, but if I wanted to spend hours second guessing what Word's put in its paragraph marks as I reformat in it, I'd just use Word.

As I understand it, Mellel's export *does* contain styles information, but for some reason not in a format Word will deal with. I really don't understand why this is - as I say, other WPs don't have this problem so it's surmountable.
mbywater
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by mbywater »

Lorem ipsum (or PakaPaka) filling text generator that would facilitate experimenting with styles and layout
Um. In the bars of Tel Aviv, "pakapaka" is like "blah blah blah" only ruder. "How was Lev?" "The usual. Paka paka paka, me me me, all night long." 8)
pds1602
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by pds1602 »

So here I am, another year later (after starting this thread). As the original posting stated:

'Where are cross references / text flow around images?'

No more excuses. Tell us if you will ever do it or not, but don't take us for idiots.
daiyi

Post by daiyi »

Ori Redler wrote:
Well, action will speak louder than words and you'll see some of this soon (next week, with a small update) and later this month when 2.5 enters beta...
I agree completely and hate to add this post, but holding out the promise of software updates or beta releases is also a form of action. Not coming through on such promises, too, speaks very loudly (much louder than words as well). If there is some delay, that is understandable. But at least inform us in the forums.

Thanks.
verma

Post by verma »

pds1602 wrote:So here I am, another year later (after starting this thread). As the original posting stated:

'Where are cross references / text flow around images?'

No more excuses. Tell us if you will ever do it or not, but don't take us for idiots.
I'd like to wish the Mellel folks all the best with their efforts. I'll be glad to test the beta, when it arrives.

It's hopefully clear to the majority of the Mellel users that their implementation of cross-references is aiming very high. That's wonderful - we're too much used to getting subpar software solutions from the usual corporations. But apparently it takes time, and so be it.