footer problem

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Eschenborn
New to all this

footer problem

Post by Eschenborn »

Hi,
I am sorry for a maybe long-answered question or for my own incompetence but I am unable to create a footer with page number (automatically for any page). Actually, I have just come from MS Word 2004 and apparently do need some time to habituate to Mellel. But I am in the midst of a book so I just have to work on without lots of pracicing before. Maybe you have an idea?
I feel that (strangely?) Mellel does the least harm to my eyes while at the screen compared to other software (Word, NeoOffice particularly). Why this? Any idea? Or psychological illusion?
Thanks
Eschenborn
verma
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: footer problem

Post by verma »

Eschenborn wrote:Hi,
I am sorry for a maybe long-answered question or for my own incompetence but I am unable to create a footer with page number (automatically for any page). Actually, I have just come from MS Word 2004 and apparently do need some time to habituate to Mellel. But I am in the midst of a book so I just have to work on without lots of pracicing before. Maybe you have an idea?
I feel that (strangely?) Mellel does the least harm to my eyes while at the screen compared to other software (Word, NeoOffice particularly). Why this? Any idea? Or psychological illusion?
Thanks
Eschenborn
The short answer: open Mellel, go to Help > Mellel Guide and look for "Page Styles" (it will open a PDF document). It is a comprehensive guide to create basic, simple or highly complex page layouts (headers, footers etc.). If you have specific problems, feel free to ask again.
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

Eschenborn wrote: I am sorry for a maybe long-answered question or for my own incompetence but I am unable to create a footer with page number (automatically for any page).
1. Open Mellel
2. Select and Open the “Page” palette.
3. Check the “All/Odd Footer” Checkbox and depending on your needs also the “Show First Page Page” one.
4. Set the height of the footer as you like by entering the value at the right of the “All/Odd Footer” Checkbox.
5. Grab your Mouse (or Pen) and klick into the Footer area (which should be surrounded by a thin grey line.
6. Select the alignment of the footer (left, center, right…) via the Toolbar-Buttons or via the buttons in the “Alignment & Spacing” palette
7. Go to the Menu bar, select “Insert > Page Variables > Page Number”
8. Select the page number and style it the way you like (size, color, font)
9. Further adjust the number via the well known “Page” palette (Numbering, Start at…)
Eschenborn wrote: I feel that (strangely?) Mellel does the least harm to my eyes while at the screen compared to other software (Word, NeoOffice particularly). Why this? Any idea? Or psychological illusion?
Mellel uses a improved version of the Mac OS X text rendering so any font looks slightly better than in TextExit, better than in Word and much better than in NeoOffice/OpenOffice which make the text easier to read an a pleasure to work. The “silent” grey interface of Mellel is also easier on the eye than the Interface of Word or NeoOffice.
Eschenborn
New to all this

Post by Eschenborn »

Hi and thanks,

actually that is what I did. I reworked the procedure right now. I got only a page number on the page I did the footer creation. Delusion. But then, when I "just so" clicked in the (void) footer of the previous page, I had all the page numbers there. So here I go. But is this the standard procedure or does my software copy behave slightly strange?

Re resoultion and eye tiredness: it is true that here Mellel is best when I compare to any other word processor. NeoOffice (maybe due to not being fully adapted to Aqua etc.) does really harm to my eyes. Word was ok with my recent ibook, but on the glossy MacBook screen I feel it being fatigueing to.

Thanks a lot for quick help
Eschenborn
donb

Post by donb »

<But is this the standard procedure or does my software copy behave slightly strange? >

This is the standard procedure, actually.

Don Broadribb