list of specific words?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

soliphint
Knows everything, can prove it

list of specific words?

Post by soliphint »

Is it possible in a given manuscript for Mellel to find and list the number of specific words? For example, if I have a document and I want to find out how many times the word "dog" is mentioned in, is there a way to do that?
Mart°n

Re: list of specific words?

Post by Mart°n »

There’s no specific feature in Mellel to create such a list. You could find out how often you’ve typed dog by the following procedure but I guess that this “manual” process won’t fit your needs:

1. Open the “Find…” window either by hitting [Command] + [F] or via the Edit > Find > Find… menu item
2. Type the word you’re looking for into the “Find” field (dog)
3. Select the word “dog” in the “Find” field and press the “Group” button [ ] below the “Find” field
4. Go to the “Replace” field and insert a “Backreference” element via the “Insert Element” drop down menu above the “Find field”
5. Make sure that the “Ignore Case” option (located inside the right option area) is checked
5. Hit the “Replace All” button
4. Just above the buttons, a message appears: “3 replaced“ which means, that you’ve used the word “dog” 3 times.

In theory, seaching for “dog” and replacing the word with “dog” would do the same trick, but if Ignore Case is checked, a Dog could became a dog (case change) as every instance of “dog, Dog, DOG, doG” will be replaced with “dog” so it could destroy your document. The method above always replaces the found item with itself (dog with dog, Dog with Dog, DOG with DOG…) so your document looks the same before and after the search operation.

As you probably don‘t want to search through 500 words this way (if you need a complete list) you should look at some other software. The only tool I know right now is MacJournal from Mariner Software. You could create text entries here and see all used words with their word count by selecting “View > Statistics” from the Menu. There’s a shareware version available that you could use for free for some (I think 30) days. There may be other software out there, that could do the same.
soliphint

Re: list of specific words?

Post by soliphint »

That's very helpful. Thank you very much.