Additional auto-titel item called <Alternative Title>

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

matthias
Knows everything, can prove it

Additional auto-titel item called <Alternative Title>

Post by matthias »

I have set up my documents with page headers in which I use mentions of chapter headings and section headings. Now, sometimes an auto-title might run too long for a one line mention in the header and the text breaks to the next line. While this certainly is the expected behaviour, I d'like to keep the mention in the headers in one line for typographical reasons. How could I rectify this? One thing that came to my mind would require a new feature in the auto-title set up:

The addition on a new auto-title item called "Alternative Title".

This should work the same way as the "Title" item currently does. But it would allow for the creation of a short title that would fit in one line. I could use "Title" as heading format and "alternative title" as mention. The alternative title could be entered in the same pop-menu as the title, it would simply require a second, optional text box.

This would certainly the perfect solution.

Regards,
Matthias
jolinwarren
Read the guide!

Post by jolinwarren »

I've run into this exact problem myself. I think your solution sounds great. It gets my vote!
signinstranger

Post by signinstranger »

Brilliant!
Reiner

Re: Additional auto-titel item called <Alternative Title&

Post by Reiner »

matthias wrote:This should work the same way as the "Title" item currently does. But it would allow for the creation of a short title that would fit in one line. I could use "Title" as heading format and "alternative title" as mention. The alternative title could be entered in the same pop-menu as the title, it would simply require a second, optional text box.

Perfect solution would be if the "alternative title"-textbox would be filled by the title-text by default in order that I have only to change if I want to shorten the title. Otherwise I always would have to do a copy-paste action for titles which are short enough.
Reiner
matthias

Re: Additional auto-titel item called <Alternative Title&

Post by matthias »

Reiner wrote:
matthias wrote:This should work the same way as the "Title" item currently does. But it would allow for the creation of a short title that would fit in one line. I could use "Title" as heading format and "alternative title" as mention. The alternative title could be entered in the same pop-menu as the title, it would simply require a second, optional text box.

Perfect solution would be if the "alternative title"-textbox would be filled by the title-text by default in order that I have only to change if I want to shorten the title. Otherwise I always would have to do a copy-paste action for titles which are short enough.
Once again I have been taught to be cautious when declaring my ideas as "perfect" … :D