Change paragraph style, maintain character formatting

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

kjmatthews
Knows everything, can prove it

Change paragraph style, maintain character formatting

Post by kjmatthews »

Is there any way to apply a new paragraph style without losing all of the character formatting within that paragraph? It has been enormously frustrating, particularly as I convert many old Word documents over to Mellel, to have to go through and re-apply all the character style variations that get wiped out by applying paragraph styles.
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

Yes this is possible. If you only like to change paragraph attributes, you could edit your paragraph styles (Style Set › Edit Style sets… › Choose and double click at the paragraph style in the “Paragraph Styles” list) so that no character style is associated with the paragraph style (lower right area).

Alternatively you may like to apply character styles with character style variations to your document, this also prevents the ad-hoc styles (that’s how external formatting or formatting applied via the palettes is called) to be overridden by selecting different styles.

You could read more about this topic here:
http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php?t=1079
kjmatthews

Post by kjmatthews »

Many thanks, Martºn. I do use character style variations when I compose new documents in Mellel; my trouble here is mainly importing documents from other programs.
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

kjmatthews wrote:my trouble here is mainly importing documents from other programs.
That’s one point discussed in the topic mentioned above. The only solution currently available is to set up (or use a current) style set that covers the imported documents needs and to apply all the character styles/variations via the “File › Replace Styles…” command but due to a lacking preview it’s not always a pleasure to do this.