Bookends and Mellel

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

raymond
Knows everything, can prove it

Bookends and Mellel

Post by raymond »

I have tried Bookends, and starting to understand that I did not understand how it works.

I supposed that if if I take a Mellel file containing, say 10 pages, with footnotes, activating Bookends and then try in Mellel to activate the button Scan the document, Mellel would give bookends an order to scan all my paper with the footnotes, and will create a bibliographic list.

I understand that I am wrong, that the way to go is first to enter all references I have in my paper manually, and then scanning the paper and then Bookends will create this bibliographic list.

Is it so, or am I am missing something

TIA
Raymond
nicka

Post by nicka »

I understand that I am wrong, that the way to go is first to enter all references I have in my paper manually
What do you mean by 'manually'? The workflow is as follows:

1) put references in Bookends database.

2) Link Bookends to Mellel in Bookends preferences.

3) When writing thesis/paper/whatever in Mellel, put citations in the correct places. You can do this by dragging and dropping from Bookends, or by pressing Command-Y in Bookends with the reference you want to cite highlighted, or by pressing the Copy Citation button in Bookends. You can also simply type in citations in Mellel: Edit>Bibliography>Enter Citation Manually -- and then type in some information that allows Bookends to find the reference you want and no other, e.g. author plus date, plus perhaps a word from the title.
The citations display in Mellel unformatted -- that is, just as code for Bookends to use in the next step...

4) When you want to see the citations formatted, click on the scan button in the Mellel Biliography palette. This calls Bookends which looks for the citations and gives information back to Mellel. The result is that Mellel changes the appearance of all the citations in your text from unformatted to formatted and produces a bibliography, which is placed at the end of your Mellel document. The formatting of the in-text citations and of the bibliography is determined by the format chosen in Bookends.

The citations remain special editable objects behind the scenes. You can see that if you double-click one: you will see the original unformatted text and the formatted text in a dialogue box.

That's it, essentially.

Which part is causing difficulty?
raymond

Post by raymond »

First of all thanks for the detailed explanations. It give me more light on the issue.
Still few things stay unclear to me:
- You write:1) put references in Bookends database.
Which means: manually, or how. Do you mean in the way you explained latter?

- No 2 is done already.
- You write:You can do this by dragging and dropping from Bookends.
Which means, if I understand it, that each reference that I add in the footnotes should be copied to Bookends? And this while writing the paper, since I don't have anything yet in Bookends.

I hope your explanations up to this point.
Raymond
nicka

Post by nicka »

If you are asking how to get references into Bookends, then that's really a Bookends issue, and you might get more (and better) answers at the Bookends forum.

I'll answer very briefly here. You can get ready-made references for pretty much any book straight into Bookends from the Library of Congress or various other libraries, using Bookend's Internet Search (Utilities>Internet Search).

Academic papers are a bit trickier. If you work in medical or biological science, you are in luck -- you can import references from PubMed, again using the internet search.

For other areas of research you can download references for individual papers from the journals' websites (they come as text files with weird suffixes like .ris and you drag the downloaded file onto Bookends, which will turn it into a reference). There's a way to get similar citation files from Google Scholar -- it's a preference option. The ones from Google Scholar generally need a lot of cleaning up once in Bookends though.

There may be other options I haven't mentioned -- online biliographic databases have improved markedly in recent years.

For really obscure stuff -- drafts of unpublished papers, books that no library with an online catalogue holds, papers in very obscure journals etc. -- you will have to type in all the details yourself: author, date, title and whatever else you will need to produce a citation and bibliography entry. But this should be a fairly rare occurence. I do it for about one in thirty references these days. And of course you only have to do it once.

You can search the Bookends forum for details on this sort of thing, and/or post questions there for clarification.
raymond

Post by raymond »

Thanks very much for your very detailed and helpful explanations.
Raymond
suavito

Post by suavito »

The usual workflow should be like described above. One thing could be added: What do you do when you already have written a text with citations but without using the Bookends/Mellel combo that way?

For this case is the "convert text into citations" function in the menu (note that I use the German version of Mellel and therefore I have to re-translate the menu to English, so keep in mind it's more "something like this" than the exact menu name).

But before you can do this, to tell Mellel which parts of the text should be converted, you have to set the "temporary citation delimiters" in Bookends' preferences (dept. Scan & Bib). Let's say you chose curly brackets.

Of course you will have to put every citation in your text manually into curly brackets. You might do this by using search and replace: You manually mark your citation and replace the marked text by the marked text in curly brackets. If you have used search and replace, you will know how to do this. And you should save the routine. But of course simply typing the brackets at the beginning and the end of the citations will do it too.

The citation itself must a have form like this:

{Bush, G. W.: My Braincells. I Call Them Amber And Tiffany, The Third One Remains Nameless@14}

The "@14" is important, if it has not this format, Bookends will not recognize it and overwrite it. "@page" is just the structure, how it finally will look totally depends on your settings in Bookends, it could be ", page 14", " p. 14", " (14)", or whatever.

After these preperations have been made – remember: this is not the normal workflow, it's just for going over an already existing text – you click "convert text into citations". Then the citations in curly brackets get replaced by the usual light blue Mellel citations which could be converted into the final purple ones (is it purple or is my German Mellel version again :roll: ).

If your citations have a form that is similar to Bookends' format it will recognize automatically to which book in it's database your citation refers. If not, it will ask you.
raymond

Post by raymond »

Thanks. It is very useful explanations.
Few questions:
- What does it means:
"The Third One Remains Nameless@14} "
What is the part before @
What should say the part after @
Is there no place to the year of publication?
- Where the citation should be placed? In the body of the text?
What I did in my text was, as an example fro this post:
{Raymond, 2007}
This is not enough, I assume.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Raymond
suavito

Post by suavito »

Sorry for my silly and maybe confusing book title (which is purely fictional as is the author). What I meant was just a simple {some reference identifier@pagenumber}. (Explanation below)

But I want to start at the beginning, there still seems to be some misunderstanding.

First thing is, you create a database in Bookends for your specific project, let's call it "my dissertation".

Then you have to fill the database. One way would be to add a new reference to the database and type all the information in the reference sheet: author, title, publisher, publishing date, place etc. and, very important, the type of reference: book, article etc.

If you cite a lot of references, this will be a tremendous piece of work.

The faster way would be to connect to a library, to Amazon or whatever – like described above. Then you might just need to type like the author's name in the search field, get a lot of hits and import by clicking the right items in the hit list into the database.

Normally, you would use the second way and only have to add manually here and there some references you can't find anywhere.

And you have to check the imported data because sometimes the import filter doesn't work right. For example, I use a lot amazon.de, and it works ok with one flaw: they put the publisher and the place together in the field publisher so the place stays empty. This needs some manual workover.

This was step one. Keep in mind: The database contains all the reference informations, it does not say ANYTHING about how this information will show up in your Mellel text!

Step two: You chose the final output format in Bookends under the menu "biblio". If you write an academic text you might find the specific output format you need right under "default format". If not, use "format manager". Here you find a longer list of standard citation formats.

By chosing one and clicking edit you get a datasheet of each format (with subsections for each different reference type, book, arcticle etc.). By clicking on "example" you can look at the final citation output produced by that format.

If you don't find anything fitting 100% to your purposes you should look for one that gets as close as possible to your needs and then copy and modify it (by: new + "based on…". This is much faster than starting with a completely empty format.

Note: Whatever you do here you can redo anytime later! ANYTIME! You can rework your own format or chose a different one, it doesn't matter because the database with all the reference informations is totally independent to the output format. When you're not using a standard citation format but using an own one it will, at least here and there, contain some mistakes, but don't worry, you can easily change it later.

Now the third step which is the most important for understanding the whole collaboration process of Mellel and Bookends:

Open a database in Bookends. If you don't have any, make a new one with at least one reference, a simple book with author, title, publisher, publishing date and place.

Click on it in the list and then press cmd+y. The citation gets transferred to Mellel. (If they are both set to each other in their preferences, of course.)

Notice, that the citation (marked light blue) you see is NOT in the format you chose in Bookends. This is because the formatting does not work on the fly, you have to click the menu item or the button in the bibliography palette at the side at a later stage of you work. ONLY THEN you will get the output format as set in Bookends.

The light blue marked text is just a PLACEHOLDER for the final citation.

The same placeholders you will find listed in the bibliography palette after the first citation which is very useful: When you cite again already cited references you don't even have to switch to Bookends but click the item in the list.

Note that the format of the placeholder doesn't matter at all as it will get replaced by the final citation format. It is only there to tell Mellel and Bookends – and not at last: you! – which reference is meant.

The format of the placeholder can be one of two formats which can be chosen in the Bookends preferences under "Scan & Bib"/"Copy Citation": Either "content" or "author, date, unique ID". For the programs it doesn't matter which one you choose, neither does it have any influence on the final format. It's just an interim citation that will be replaced. It is your decision which one makes it easier for you to identify the reference in the writing process. Switch between both, chose the one that comforts you most.

You must understand that these citations are not just some text marked light blue, these are special fields only working in Mellel. Therefore, they can't be edited just like standard text, you have to alt-click into them if you have to. Do you have to? Yes, if you add the page number you cite, the "@217" must be part of the citation field, marked blue too, not just behind it. (If it's not in the field it won't get converted. You could use plain text but then you have to type the correct format like "page 217" and not "@217". This works too, but if you decide to switch to "p." instead of "page" later, you would have to replace manually or by search & replace. If it is part of the citation field you reset the format of the page citation just once in Bookends.)

When you have finished writing or just want to see how it looks you click the bibliography conversion and then all citations get converted into the final format plus a bibliography lists is added to the end of the text.

It has been a topic in this forum (as you might now, hey, I'm the newbie!) that Mellel and Bookends should do this final formatting on the fly. It would definitely help to avoid confusing because the interim/placeholder citation would be nonexisting and you would at once get exactly the format you set in Bookends.

But then again, this would be some work going on in the background while typing. It's not only putting out a citation from the database in the right format, there's more to do. For example: You cite Miller (2001) and right after that again Miller (2001). This will give you "Miller (2001) p. 54" and "ibid. p. 56" (if you set this in the Bookends format).

Then you suddenly think it is wise to cite Smith (2002) right after the first Miller citation. That makes the second Miller citation go back to "Miller (2001)". And oh, it's the first time you cite Smith (2002), so he gets added to the bibliography at the end of the text at the same time. I'm not a programmer, but this looks not that easy to me. (Maybe the bibliography could be the only part not to be produced on the fly? That would totally make sense to me.)

I hope I helped you straighten this out.

Pardon? Up to this point it is all clear, but where the heck were the curly brackets in my lengthy sermon?

Okay, what I repeated in this posting is the normal way of working with both Mellel and Bookends.

Remember, the light blue interim/placeholder citations in Mellel are special fields that only Mellel uses.

If your text is from another word processor or is a Mellel text but from a time before you learned about the comfortable way of using it together with Bookends, you will only have just-text citations which first have to be converted into the special citation fields a. k. a. light blue interim/placeholder citations.

When you start this conversion, Mellel scans the text for the citation delimiters (curly brackets or else). Any time they appear in the text the delimiters indicate Mellel that in between of these is a citation, and it transfers this citation to Bookends. Then Bookends tries to find a matching reference in the database.

If the format you used inside of the delimiters comes close or even better is identical to the placeholder format Bookends will transform this citation into the interim/placeholder FIELD (the light blue one again) so it can be converted into the final output format later. If Bookends can't identify the reference it will ask.

At the end a simple example. This time with a real – and amazing – book.

A reference in Bookends:

Type: book
Author: Ror Wolf
Title: Nachrichten aus der bewohnten Welt
Publishing place: Frankfurt am Main
Publishing date: 1991.

Final output format for books (my choice, yours could be completely different!) as set in biblio/format in Bookends:

Ror Wolf: Nachrichten aus der bewohnten Welt. Frankfurt am Main 1991.

Interim/placeholder format when set to "content" (option 1):

Wolf, 1991, Nachrichten aus der bewohnten Welt, 273 S ["S" stands for "Seiten", i. e. pages]

Interim/placeholder format when set to "author, date, unique ID" (option 2):
Wolf, 1991, #37656
raymond

Post by raymond »

Thanks a lot.

I am going to work on it and learn it. I do hope that this time I will succeed.

Best regards
raymond

Post by raymond »

I am sorry to come back to you.
I have done as you explained, and the Mellel text is now filled with blue spots where they should be.

You wrote:
"When you have finished writing or just want to see how it looks you click the bibliography conversion and then all citations get converted into the final format plus a bibliography lists is added to the end of the text. "

My question is: where is this BIBLIOGRAPHY CONVERSION to click upon.

I went to Mellel and clicked on the Scan Document button.
Te process started, and then the dialogue box appeared telling me:
Scan a Document
Generate a bibliography after scan
Scan using the bib/document format of...
Chicago 15th A

And I click OK

The process continues, and then nothing happened

I am almost desperate. What am I missing.

Thanking in advance
ozean

Post by ozean »

raymond wrote:The process continues, and then nothing happened
Er, strange! What should happen is that all the light blue fields in Mellel (i.e. the citation objects imported from Bookends) should now be in a darker shade of blue and look like defined by the Chicago format that you chose.

That is the citation object
Author, Date, Reference Number

should now be somewhat like
(Authorname 2006)

And at the end of your Mellel document there should be a list of all the entries that you imported from Bookends. In your case nothing of this is visible?
raymond

Post by raymond »

No. The list at end of the document doesn't appear. And the citation are always like this: {Cronan, 1994, #80268}
I don't know why.
It is quite frustrating.

Any chance I can overcome this problem
nicka

Post by nicka »

We'll get to the bottom of this.

Could you try again with a new Mellel file containing just one reference?
So:Please start a new document in Mellel, then switch to Bookends and put a reference into the Mellel document by pressing Apple-y.
Then click on the 'Scan document' button in the Mellel bibliography palette.

Bookends should come to the front and pop up a dialogue box like the one you saw. Make sure that the box "Generate a bibliography after scan" is ticked, then click OK. Bookends will do its thing (quite quickly, because it only has one reference to find), then you will get switched back to Mellel, which should update your document so you see a formatted citation in purply-blue, followed by a rather boring one-item long bibliography.

Tell us if this works out, or if not, tell us exactly what you see step by step -- what dialogue box, in what program etc.
raymond

Post by raymond »

Thanks, I feel better now.
I have done as you proposed on a new Mellel file with one blue citation.
The Scan document generate the adequate bibliography.

Now, How can I locate the one which prevents from the process to complete in a file containing 20 citations (now in Blue)
nicka

Post by nicka »

Are you sure that all of the citations are present in Bookends? If I were troubleshooting a file with only twenty citations, I think I might replace them one by one from Bookends, just to be sure.

If Bookends is asked to scan a document and fails to find one or more of the citations it will pop up a dialogue box, asking you to help it locate them. I wonder if this might have happened.