Bookends and Mellel

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

raymond
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by raymond »

nicka wrote:
If Bookends is asked to scan a document and fails to find one or more of the citations it will pop up a dialogue box, asking you to help it locate them. I wonder if this might have happened.
No, this dialogue box did not appear.

I have made some tests with two citations, which went well, with APA 5th edition (BTW - Is this format is the accepted way of articles in social sciences?)
Both citations in Bookends were on the Internet choice in the pop up menu at the left up corner, below Copy Citation

Cronan, G. (2007). “Something for Nothing - It's Fabulous”: An Australian Perspective of Demutualisation. http://www.ica.coop/coop/mutuality/garr ... othing.pdf
Cronan, G. (1994). The Conversion Syndrome.
http://www.ica.coop/coop/mutuality/garr ... ndrome.pdf

I can't get to put here screen pictures but the problem on my Mellel file appearance was that the first Cronan appeared in Times Font 12 points and the second Cronan appeared in Times Font 18 points

Where can I adjust this?

Then, if I put the citation in Bookends as a Journal Article the URL will not appear, but if I put it in Internet format I get the URL but part of the information is not presented.

This is the case when I put the second Cronan as Journal article compared to the first example above. I would like that all information including URL would appear.

Here is the example:

Cronan, G. (2007). “Something for Nothing - It's Fabulous”: An Australian Perspective of Demutualisation. http://www.ica.coop/coop/mutuality/garr ... othing.pdf
Cronan, G. (1994). The Conversion Syndrome. A Review of the Conversion of Australian Co-operatives into Investor Owned Firms.

Is it possible?
ozean

Post by ozean »

raymond wrote:Then, if I put the citation in Bookends as a Journal Article the URL will not appear, but if I put it in Internet format I get the URL but part of the information is not presented.
The APA style does not require the URL to be displayed with an article. If you want the URL to appear, you have to change the format (thus creating a new one, which is based on APA or whatever style you chose). Please take a look into the user guide for more information on how to change a format.

You can get the guide here: http://www.sonnysoftware.com/BookendsUserGuide.pdf.zip
raymond

Post by raymond »

nicka wrote:We'll get to the bottom of this.

, which should update your document so you see a formatted citation in purply-blue, followed by a rather boring one-item long bibliography.
etc.
What is he next phase, namely what to do that the "citations in purply-blue" would be turned to be at the same colour as the whole text, as it is presented in the final version of the text
ozean

Post by ozean »

The “citations in purply-blue” phase is already the final stage – if you print this page to PDF, you will notice that the blue coding is gone in the print. The citation objects keep a specific color so that one can see that they are still there as citation objects – that means you can always unscan the document, thus returning to the light-blue stage again.

(as an aside: if you print the document before scanning the citations you will also not see the light-blue code in the print – the color code is only there to help you identify citation objects while working in Mellel)
raymond

Post by raymond »

Thanks for your explanations.
A follow up question:
When working on a file with many citations, and you wish to add few more.

When you are scanning the document, after creating the new citations, are the whole document is rescanned or there is a way to scan only the new citations?
ozean

Post by ozean »

No, you always have to scan (or unscan) the whole document. But you can add as many citations as you want in both modes (scanned and unscanned).
wrbudge
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by wrbudge »

Question about citatations:
I would like a reference number in the text, then the reference as a footnote or possibly an end note.
Is it acceptable to enter a footnote, then enter the citation in the footnote? Is there a better way to accomplish this?