problem with auto-titles and character styles

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

stoic

problem with auto-titles and character styles

Post by stoic »

Despite the re-installation of Mellel, I still seem to have a problem.

Here's the sequence:

I type a paragraph whose paragraph style is "text" and whose character style is also called "text (base)."

My next paragraph is to be the heading of a new part of the document. So, after typing the text phrase and hitting the return (all in "text"), I select the phrase I want to be the heading, and then go to the auto-title menu and select "Chapter Section," which automatically gives that phrase a paragraph style of "Sub-heading" and a character style of "Sub-heading (Base)".

Here's the mystery: When I return to the line immediately below my new heading, which used to be "text," it still has the paragraph style "text" but now has the character style "sub-heading (base)."

The "next paragraph style" for the paragraph style "Sub-heading" is "text," and of course this is exactly what it does. But the "associated character style" for "text" is of course "text" ... and this is clearly what it does NOT do. On the contrary, for some reason, it gives me a character style of "sub-heading (base)" -- as it does for each succeeding paragraph, unless I manually alter it.

This seems to lie at the heart of all the other problems I've been having with this document.

Again, does anyone have any ideas here? Sorry to be so bothersome...

Thanks.
stoic

Post by stoic »

One more thing...

When I manually change the character format of the line beneath my auto-title, it says -- as it should -- that the paragraph style is "text" and the character style is "text." But even if I then save the change, it reverts to a character style of "sub-heading" when I again place the cursor in this line.

Needless to say, this is a bit maddening -- reminiscent of those years I spend wandering in the wilderness of MS Word.
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Re: problem with auto-titles and character styles

Post by Ori Redler »

stoic wrote:Despite the re-installation of Mellel, I still seem to have a problem.

Here's the sequence:

I type a paragraph whose paragraph style is "text" and whose character style is also called "text (base)."

My next paragraph is to be the heading of a new part of the document. So, after typing the text phrase and hitting the return (all in "text"), I select the phrase I want to be the heading, and then go to the auto-title menu and select "Chapter Section," which automatically gives that phrase a paragraph style of "Sub-heading" and a character style of "Sub-heading (Base)".

Here's the mystery: When I return to the line immediately below my new heading, which used to be "text," it still has the paragraph style "text" but now has the character style "sub-heading (base)."

The "next paragraph style" for the paragraph style "Sub-heading" is "text," and of course this is exactly what it does. But the "associated character style" for "text" is of course "text" ... and this is clearly what it does NOT do. On the contrary, for some reason, it gives me a character style of "sub-heading (base)" -- as it does for each succeeding paragraph, unless I manually alter it.

This seems to lie at the heart of all the other problems I've been having with this document.

Again, does anyone have any ideas here? Sorry to be so bothersome...

Thanks.
I'm not sure I fully understand. Can you send me a sample document? (to redlex aaaat redlers.com
Ori Redler from RedleX