Footnote Issues with Hebrew/English

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

germandanny
Got the auto-title mojo working

Footnote Issues with Hebrew/English

Post by germandanny »

Okay, here's my issue. I have no idea what is going on, but maybe someone could help me, please!?! Here's an example of what I type, and this only happens in footnote text, to my knowledge:

Hiph. inf. constr. (temporal) from ברא ref. to השׁמים והארץ + ...

And then—even here when I type it—it just happened again! This must be an issue with my input menu, or something. So at least it's not just in Mellel and just not in my footnotes.

Anyway, I still need help, and this involves Hebrew and English. Then I try to type a number after the "+" and the number and the "+" both jump immediately to before the preceding Hebrew text. Everything after that goes back to where it should be in the typing. For further example, here's what it looks like when that all happens:

Hiph. inf. constr. (temporal) from ברא ref. to השׁמים והארץ + 3ms suffix

I have no idea what to do, but I'm finding it difficult to make textual notes like I need to. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Daniel
signinstranger
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by signinstranger »

Have you tried <Ctrl> + <Space> to break the direction?
germandanny
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by germandanny »

Wow, that worked—I'm back in business! Thanks so much.
jannuss
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by jannuss »

Mellel follows the standard convention of placing Left-toRight text inside Right-to-Left streams. You'll run into a lot of instances where the standard doesn't do what you want.

One solution is the direction-breaking space already recommended.

I prefer another solution, using the Character Appearance palette: set Direction to Right-to-Left or Left-to-Right as needed.

Janet