Paste text and have it take on current styles?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Phrasikleia
Got the styles thing figured out

Paste text and have it take on current styles?

Post by Phrasikleia »

It is possible in Word to paste text into a tagged paragraph and have the pasted text take on the current styles of the paragraph. Is this possible in Mellel, or does one have to select and tag the pasted text manually?
nicka
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Paste text and have it take on current styles?

Post by nicka »

Yes. Edit>Paste special...>Plain text. The shortcut key combination is ShiftAppleOptionV.
suavito

Post by suavito »

It's the standard Mac way: cmd+v pastes and keeps the styles of the source, cmd+shift+opt+v pastes and matches styles. Which means that if the pasted text contained italic or bold elements they will get flattened.
The finger is the most popular bird.
daiyi

Post by daiyi »

Happy to learn this but embarrassed as a long time Mac user. Thanks for the information.
Benja
Read the guide!

Post by Benja »

Hi guys,

I'm having some trouble with keyboard shortcuts too. I set up Cmd-Shift-V in System Preferences as "Paste Plain Text" in Mellel. When I fire up Mellel it works fine. If I quit Mellel (I think this is how it works), the keyboard shortcut is lost. It no longer works and is no longer listed in the Mellel Edit menu next to Paste Plain Text. It is, however, still listed in SysPrefs under keyboard shortcuts.

So, is this an OS X problem or a Mellel problem? Is there a way I can make it stick?

(By the way Cmd-Opt-Shift-V doesn't paste as plain text for me - it does nothing).
Fire Angel
Read the guide!

Post by Fire Angel »

Benja wrote:Hi guys,

I'm having some trouble with keyboard shortcuts too. I set up Cmd-Shift-V in System Preferences as "Paste Plain Text" in Mellel. When I fire up Mellel it works fine. If I quit Mellel (I think this is how it works), the keyboard shortcut is lost. It no longer works and is no longer listed in the Mellel Edit menu next to Paste Plain Text. It is, however, still listed in SysPrefs under keyboard shortcuts.

So, is this an OS X problem or a Mellel problem? Is there a way I can make it stick?

(By the way Cmd-Opt-Shift-V doesn't paste as plain text for me - it does nothing).
Your second problem is familiar; you need to check to see if an application is redefining that key combination. This is almost always the problem when a standard system key combination doesn't work. What the first problem is I have less idea, but it might be a similar problem, that the key combination is already defined elsewhere and Mellel is only able to temporarily "kidnap' it.
Old Chinese proverb:

The man who does not make mistakes
usually does not make anything.