Index Building

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

laup
Knows everything, can prove it

Index Building

Post by laup »

I'm only beginning to use the nice index feature, beyond some initial experimentation when it was first introduced. I am musing about things I don't know how to do, or are not currently possible.

Automatic Marking.
We can select an index record, switch to the text pane, and use Find to find all instances of the index-record's term. For each in turn, we could click the "Insert index mark" button in the index pane. Is it possible for this to occur automatically? That is, we might select the index record in question, hit a button called Find Terms and Add Marks, and marks would automatically be placed everwhere in text that the index-record term is used.

Similarly, I could imagine that the definition of an index record would have a box for Related Terms. There one would enter the variants that might appear in text and, upon hitting the Find Terms and Add Marks. Mellel would then mark all of the variants, tying them the one index record.

Something analogous to this exists with the alias feature, but--as I understand it--each alias is also a separate Index record.

This functionality may already exist, but I'm not seeing it.
Paul