- Item 1
- Item 2
- Item 3
|indent| 1. sub item 1
|indent| 2. sub item 2
- item 4

Mixing bullet and numbered lists in one "top-level" list

With thanks

(the |indent| is intended to indicate the next level of indentation in the "inner" list (HTML throws away most white space)

Chris
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Mixing Bullet and Numbered lists

Post by Amontillado »

I think there are two ways to do what you need.

With lists, you can start a bulleted list, switch to a numbered, back to bulleted, and if you want to continue a numbered list you can use the "start at" feature in the list palette to resume numbering where you left off.

There are two downsides. I don't think there's a way to switch list styles without introducing an extra line break. The other downside is if you enter new items in an early section of your numbering scheme, you'll need to adjust the "start at" value in subsequent sections.

The other way involves more setup with the benefit of more control.

You can also create list-like behavior with caption streams in the auto-titles. If you enable auto-indent in the auto-titles, the attributes tab of the auto-title palette will have indent and undent arrows.

It appears to be safe to turn on the auto-indent option, use it that way for a while, and then turn auto-indent back off. That way you can have the level indentation and automatic continuation of auto-title level when you want, and disable it the rest of the time.

Corrections most welcome.
DavidH

Post by DavidH »

Amontillado’s suggestions will work. But I believe the easiest way to get the effect you want is to set up a new List Style. Go to the Styles side of the List palette, choose an existing List Style to base your new one on (the easiest choice might be Harvard), and hit the plus sign. Enter a new Style Name in place of Harvard (e.g. MyLists) and make the changes you’d to see at various levels. On level 1, you’ll want to choose Dash as your symbol type in place of Roman numerals. On level 2, you’ll want to change the symbol type from Roman Caps to Arabic. While you’re here you might want to make additional adjustments further down the hierarchy in case you want sub-sub items etc. later on. You may be perfectly happy with the spacing options as they stand, but you can tweak them if you like while you’re here. Once you’re done making changes, hit Create. MyLists will then show up as a new choice in the Styles list on the Styles side of the List palette. I believe Mellel lists always default to plain bullets. But you can change a given list to the My Lists style by double clicking that style in the palette as soon as you start the list or subsequently, whenever your insertion point is in the relevant list. The whole list will change styles all at once. Happy New Year, everyone.
Amontillado

Post by Amontillado »

I didn't catch the numbering just on a sublevel - your solution is much better. Not sure I'll ever need anything like that, but I'm going to remember it.
caw
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by caw »

Thank you both for the very useful replies.
I have a working solution now.
Cheers

Chris