Manually moving Mellel to a new Mac

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

rmansfield
Already downloaded the guide

Manually moving Mellel to a new Mac

Post by rmansfield »

Getting a new Mac this next week, and I don’t want to use Migration Assistant since I’ll be moving from an Intel Mac to an Apple Silicon M2 Mac.

I’d like to keep my Mellel preferences as well as a couple of customized templates I have.

Can someone remind me which folders I need to manually move over to the new machine? I’ve not done this in a while.
Richard Mansfield
DavidH
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Manually moving Mellel to a new Mac

Post by DavidH »

All these things are stored in the user application support folder. (Mellel ignores the various application support folders in other places on your Mac.) It's important that this be copied when Mellel isn't running. Here are the step by step instructions Eyal gave me when I asked about this a year ago; they work like a charm.

You should be able to see the folder by choosing "Go to folder..." in the "GO" menu of the finder and then entering ~/Library/Application Support/Mellel 5

The procedure for transferring your Mellel installation from computer to computer is this
1. In the old computer, locate the application support folder (~/Library/Application Support/Mellel 5) and copy it to the new computer
2. On the new computer, while Mellel is not running, copy the "Mellel 5" folder into ~/Library/Application Support/

[In these instructions, "~" is a tilde; it looks awfully flat in the font used by this forum]

Best,
DavidH
rmansfield
Already downloaded the guide

Re: Manually moving Mellel to a new Mac

Post by rmansfield »

Thank you!
Richard Mansfield