Citation Font Size

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Taman
Read the guide, knows everything

Citation Font Size

Post by Taman »

Just noticed something a little strange with citations. Not sure if this is a bug, or I'm doing something wrong.

Basically, I have citations in my standard text using a paragraph style that has a 12-point font. I also have citations in footnotes using a paragraph style that has a 10-point font.

If I enter the citation normally (ie. just type some text, then cntl-Y to put in citation) in either main text or the footnote it works and looks fine. But if I copy some text including a citation from either the standard text to the footnote, or vice versa, it keeps the citation formatted as per it's original location.

So, if I scan my document, the citations in my main text that were copied from a footnote are now in 10-point font, and vice versa. I've tried reapplying the paragraph style and the character style, but whenever I rescan it goes back to it's original formatting that was appropriate for where it was created in the first place.

I hope this makes sense!

Thanks, Taman
any1gf
New to all this

Post by any1gf »

Hi

I've had the same problem and I've found a solution.

1st situation (the problem):
- enter citation (1st format: 12pt)
- scan
- reformat citation (2nd format: 10pt)
- rescan
=> citation format = 1st format

2nd situation (the solution):
- enter citation (1st format: 12pt)
- scan
- UNSCAN citations
- rescan
=> citation format = 2nd format

If you want the new format to be permanent, you have to apply it before scanning your document.
ozean
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by ozean »

I currently find myself in the same position as Taman. To finally publish my dissertation (yay!) I made a new style set and adapted it to the requirements of my publisher. However, the citations were not changed automatically along with the rest of the text.
any1gf wrote:- UNSCAN citations
Thanks for pointing this out! However, it was not very easy to achieve this step… My citations are embedded in at least three different paragraph styles all with their own linked character styles, therefore I had to do several find & replace operations until I achieved what I want (at least I hope I did).

However, this still seems to be a bug to me – or does anyone know how and why this could be a feature?
Taman
Read the guide, knows everything

Post by Taman »

ah, thanks for the tip. Will give it a go. Agree would be nicer if this didn't occur, but at least I can do this now and not have them revert everytime.

Best, Taman