Replacing fake small caps stemming from Bookends

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

matthias
Knows everything, can prove it

Replacing fake small caps stemming from Bookends

Post by matthias »

Hi,

I would like to have use OpenType small caps for authors in my bibliography. I have set the formats accordingly in Bookends, and after the scan I have all author names set in small caps. But since Bookends does not support OpenType fonts features such as small caps, it is all fake small caps.
I thought I could easily replace those doing a search for characters formatted as fake small caps. But apparently Mellel recognises only those fake small caps that where formatted so in Mellel, but not those formatted in Bookends. How could I resolve this?

Thanks,
Matthias
DylanMuir

Post by DylanMuir »

In the Mellel preferences, there's a tab called "bibliography". Here you can tell Mellel to replace certain formatting inserted by Bookends (like bold, italic, etc) with particular character styles and variations (which could contain small-caps, for example).

In your example, I'd set the authors to be formatted bold in Bookends, then have Mellel convert that to the particular style and variation you want.

Does that do what you need?

DRM
ozean

Post by ozean »

I think this depends on if you set the whole author name in small caps (i.e. the first letter is also a small cap), or if the first letter is a standard capital letter and the following ones are small caps.

If you want the latter behavior, then you have to format things manually, I think, because Mellel only cannot produce the mix of standard caps as first letters and true OpenType small caps for the following letters.

This is a feature that was often requested and that I still have hope for to one day be available in Mellel. As it is now, it requires tedious work-arounds to get true OpenType small caps… :(
matthias

Post by matthias »

Thanks for your replies.

@Dylan: The workaround you describe shouldn't create to much of work. I guess I'll do it that way

@Ozean: I know about this issue. But it seems Mellel is not consistent in its dealings with small caps. Using Minion Pro for instance will create small caps for all characters selected. When using Palatino Linotype however, Mellel will leave the capital letters untouched and only the small characters will become small caps.
Nevertheless I agree with you that this should be sorted out. I think in InDesign there is an option to chose "small caps" or "all small caps".

Matthias
nicka

Post by nicka »

Palatino Linotype is a special case. I don't know of any other font that works this way. Still, it is sometimes useful that with that one font small caps work the way they should.