PhD writer here, new to Mellel, couple of questions

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

zarairani

PhD writer here, new to Mellel, couple of questions

Post by zarairani »

Is it possible to have auto-titles in tables?

How do I multi select bits of text?

I really think Mellel is ace, keep up the good work!

--
Zara
Reiner
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Reiner »

The same sad answer to both of your questions is: No. It is not possible.
Reiner
zarairani

Post by zarairani »

Reiner wrote:The same sad answer to both of your questions is: No. It is not possible.
That's a shame. The auto-titles in tables would be really useful for me, especially as I am often using two images side by side, and need to put the images in a two cell table (anyway that's the way I had to do it on word 2004).

I've tried using two columns just for the image sections, then I can have captions that can be auto-titles. But it's tricky- three columns even more so!

Hope these two features appear in 3.0, or sooner...:)
--
Zara
Normand
Already downloaded the guide

Post by Normand »

zarairani wrote:
Reiner wrote:The same sad answer to both of your questions is: No. It is not possible.
That's a shame. The auto-titles in tables would be really useful for me, especially as I am often using two images side by side, and need to put the images in a two cell table (anyway that's the way I had to do it on word 2004).

I've tried using two columns just for the image sections, then I can have captions that can be auto-titles. But it's tricky- three columns even more so!

Hope these two features appear in 3.0, or sooner...:)
--
Zara
MaY I bring to your attention that there is a feature request about that issue at:
http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php? ... t=beaudoin

Normand Beaudoin
jolinwarren
Read the guide!

Post by jolinwarren »

zarairani wrote:The auto-titles in tables would be really useful for me, especially as I am often using two images side by side, and need to put the images in a two cell table (anyway that's the way I had to do it on word 2004).
Why not put the images in a table, and use an auto-title immediately before or after the table. For instance, you could have the auto-title with a table on the next line containing two images. With appropriate "Keep with next:" settings in the auto-title's paragraph style, the auto-title and images will never be separated. Like so:

If you put the auto-title after the table, just set the "Keep with next:" settings for the paragraph style used for the line that the table is in.

Hope this makes sense. Let me know if not.
zarairani

Post by zarairani »

jolinwarren wrote:
zarairani wrote:The auto-titles in tables would be really useful for me, especially as I am often using two images side by side, and need to put the images in a two cell table (anyway that's the way I had to do it on word 2004).
Why not put the images in a table, and use an auto-title immediately before or after the table. For instance, you could have the auto-title with a table on the next line containing two images. With appropriate "Keep with next:" settings in the auto-title's paragraph style, the auto-title and images will never be separated. Like so:

If you put the auto-title after the table, just set the "Keep with next:" settings for the paragraph style used for the line that the table is in.

Hope this makes sense. Let me know if not.
That's fine but I haven't found an easy solution if you want to have a caption below each of those pictures.
jolinwarren
Read the guide!

Post by jolinwarren »

zarairani wrote:That's fine but I haven't found an easy solution if you want to have a caption below each of those pictures.
Ahhh, I see. Yes that poses more of a problem. You might be able to do this by inserting a section break directly after the table and then setting the following section to two columns. I don't know if the spacing would work out, but it might.