Crashes Upon Insertion of Figures

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

laup
Knows everything, can prove it

Crashes Upon Insertion of Figures

Post by laup »

I have had recurrent problems, for perhaps a year or so (several updates worth or Mellel),when seeking to insert images. The usual scenario is that I am typing away, select an autotitle for Figure, select Inset Image, navigate to a folder somewhere, and select a figure--usually in png format. Mellel crashes and, unless I have saved, there is no backup. This can be very frustrating. Naturally, it is not reliably reproducible. Perhaps it happend 30% of the time on bad days.

When last I inquired about this, the Mellel folks concluded that the problem was in the operating system. However, I have had no such problems with inserting graphics into Word documents. I will send in another support request, but I wonder whether others have encountered the issue and perhaps know how to avoid it.
Paul
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

I’ve never seen this on my machine but I mostly use drag & drop to insert images, not the “Insert › Image…” option. A short test of inserting over 10 png images via the “Insert › Image…” option worked flawlessly. How do you create those PDFs? Maybe there is a problem with some of your images.
laup

Post by laup »

Mart'n

I will try the drag and drop. I just tested again and was unable to get either Pages or Mellel to show the trouble in about ten tries. As I said, it has been difficult to reproduce the problem on demand.

Ori said, in response to my help request, that the log reveals that

"There is a problem
with NS view (NS are the two letters that indicate that this is a
window operation of some sort that fails.
At any rate, when you import an image Mellel essentially gives
control over the process to OS X and then only gets back to doing its
stuff when there is a result (i.e., an image data)."

This is no consolation functionally, ut perhaps the drag and drop will work.

In answer to your question, the figures come from OmniGraffle and are in png format (not pdf).
Paul
boris
Got the auto-title mojo working

My first crash!

Post by boris »

I have used Mellel for a long time without bothering the Forum. Today I had my first crash ever. It was exactly along the lines mentioned in postings several months ago. I was inserting figures using the menu. Many figures without saving. Sudden crash. Now I save after every inserted figure.
You can, of course, drag-and-drop figures but if I remember correctly it was said a log time ago that that creates a bigger file than if you use the menu?

And I still have a desperate need for cross referencing.

Boris
Boris
----------------
Quod non est in actis non est in mundo