Spotlight and Quick Look

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

transalpin
Read the guide!

Spotlight and Quick Look

Post by transalpin »

I wonder when the plugins for Mac OS 10.5 will be available. Am I the only one who gets the impression that development at RedleX is suspended?
matthias
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Spotlight and Quick Look

Post by matthias »

I don't think development has been suspended, but keeping the Mellel community in the loop seems to not to be a priority for RedleX right now. Wasn't there a promise some three months ago about a free app to be published soon … ? I wonder which "soon" they had in mind ;-)

Matthias
bashosfrog
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by bashosfrog »

I don't think you need to worry about Redlex dropping the ball. What it delivers, when it delivers, will be innovative and rock-solid. I'm as keen as anyone for Spotlight back - I've lost a big reference source without it - but I Have Faith. And some patience in the belief that what's being done, is being done well.

Matt
ablaze
Already downloaded the guide

Post by ablaze »

It seems to be not so easy to hang on in the business.
While I'm no fan of the release quick and release often paradigm, the userbase can get the impression that development has halted if you delay releases, especially if you are a shareware developer. Proper release schedules are part of the marketing. Of course, you want your app to be as solid as possible, nevertheless, one should adopt release planning to marketing, if you want users to invest in you product.

A quicklook plugin is overdue, marketing wise.

One example of really bad marketing is the blue-tech group. They have a real great app, Ulysses, but don't realize that customers want to see steady and substantial progress: http://www.blue-tec.com
wrbudge
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by wrbudge »

I would certainly like to see Spotlight Quick Look functionality. It's so handy, that it makes me want to use another WP, at least until Mellel develops the feature.
transalpin
Read the guide!

Post by transalpin »

But how long can it take to write such a plugin? There used to be a spotlight plugin for Tiger, so it can’t be rocket science. And as a matter of fact they’ve been announcing cross-reference support since mid-2006. I only come to the conclusion that the Redlers have put development for Mellel on hold.
mbywater

Post by mbywater »

transalpin wrote:But how long can it take to write such a plugin?
I wish I knew the answer to that, then I'd know when to start getting REALLY impatient... The only thing I can say here is that Scrivener managed to get it all sorted out before the final release of Leopard, and even the normally glacial DevonThink guys managed it about a week ago, and they'd never had it before.

Personally, I find I use Spotlight more and more -- especially now that it works properly in Leopard -- and I am very reluctant to commit stuff to Mellel (which has been my WP of choice since v1 & in which I've written three full-length books, and countless papers and articles) until the Spotlight (and, DV, CoverFlow and QuickLook) compatibility is enabled. So for the time being, and perhaps until the next book goes to press, it may be Scrivener + Pages or NWP. I have to decide in the next week. But as someone said in another thread, if it's not there already, don't count on its appearing when you need it. Not even with the Redlers, who have always been as good as their word in the past.

transalpin wrote: I only come to the conclusion that the Redlers have put development for Mellel on hold.
Lord, I hope not. It's *so* nearly there... some reassurance would be nice though :?
bashosfrog

Post by bashosfrog »

The lack of comment from the Redlers is puzzling. I can only hope they are waiting to trot out the all-singing, all-dancing Mellel 3.0 at MacWorld. If not, then some comment would be handy. It's a daily - almost hourly - frustration that I can't search past Mellel articles with Spotlight.
DanZac
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by DanZac »

Yet another reason for a Quicklook plugin — DEVONthink wants to use the quicklook feature to display files. I've been wanting DT and Mellel integration for a dog's age. Let's hope a Mellel quicklook plugin is on its way.....