chapter numbering problem in auto-titles

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

DanZac
Knows everything, can prove it

chapter numbering problem in auto-titles

Post by DanZac »

My chapter numbers in my auto-titles are starting over at one whenever I add a "part" auto-title, which sits at the top of the hierarchy. In my auto-titles preferences there is nothing I see that would cause this behavior. Can someone help me with this?

sidenote, why would that behavior ever be necessary? I can see footnote and endnote numbers not being consecutive for an entire document, but chapter numbers?!?
nicka

Re: chapter numbering problem in auto-titles

Post by nicka »

It's simple: a level that is higher in the hierarchy resets the numbering of all levels below. It is necessary to work around this behaviour somehow for parts and chapters. I would hand-number them (the parts, I mean).

Edited to make it clear what I was trying to say.
Last edited by nicka on Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Or, you can set your chapters and parts to sit at the same level of the hierarchy, so they continue numbering concurrently. It may be necessary to use a tag Auto-Title to achieve this for one of your parts.
— Robert Cameron
DanZac

Post by DanZac »

rpcameron wrote:Or, you can set your chapters and parts to sit at the same level of the hierarchy, so they continue numbering concurrently. It may be necessary to use a tag Auto-Title to achieve this for one of your parts.
Can you clarify this more for me? How do I get Part and Chapter to sit at the same level? in the edit auto-titles, I don't see any place to change the level of my Part to sit at the same level as my chapter.
nicka

Post by nicka »

in the edit auto-titles, I don't see any place to change the level of my Part to sit at the same level as my chapter.
Right. There's no way of setting two structural headings to the same level, sadly.

You should be able to do what rpcameron suggested: set up a tag flow for parts, leaving chapters as a structural flow. You have to make sure the part flow is above the chapter flow in the list in the auto-title dialogue, or the part numbering will be restarted at each chapter (which is not what you want).
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

DanZac wrote:My chapter numbers in my auto-titles are starting over at one whenever I add a "part" auto-title, which sits at the top of the hierarchy. In my auto-titles preferences there is nothing I see that would cause this behavior. Can someone help me with this?

sidenote, why would that behavior ever be necessary? I can see footnote and endnote numbers not being consecutive for an entire document, but chapter numbers?!?
Auto-titles' numbering for any level is reset whenever you enter an auto-title at any level at or above it. The reason for that -- and the reason it is necessary -- is that auto-titles are by nature hierarchical (footnotes are not, for example). Currently, the only way to go around this is to use the methods described above (but that doesn't mean that we should not add a means to enter a non-hierarchical or extra-hierarchical levels to Mellel).
Ori Redler from RedleX
DanZac

Post by DanZac »

Thanks Ori. I guess you can consider this a request then. Part and chapter are standard top-level hierarchies in books, but chapters are always consecutive through a book.
coventrm
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by coventrm »

I would second that request--I am having the same issue in my current book project. But thanks for the workaround.
coventrm
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by coventrm »

Hi folks--

Moving parts into a non-structured flow fixes the numbering issue. However, in outline, those show at whatever the last level used in the part before. Is there anyway to bring it out so that it occupies a more prominent role in the outline?

thanks!
Michael T. Coventry, Ph.D.
Communication, Culture
& Technology Program
Georgetown University
Washington, DC USA
hrashid
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by hrashid »

In addition to the outline, I'd like the "Part" to show up in the right location in the TOC as well, which the tag solution does not allow.