Open type font styles

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Ivica
Got the styles thing figured out

Open type font styles

Post by Ivica »

Can anyone explain how to work with open type fonts in the character appearance palette? I tried to use swash option with several open type fonts with no success.

Thanks,

Ivica
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Open type font styles

Post by rpcameron »

I suppose the first question to ask is whether or not the OpenType fonts you are using actually included swashes or other stylistic alternates.
— Robert Cameron
Ivica

Post by Ivica »

I am not sure. I just know they are otfs. Is there a way to find that out? I thought some of the included fonts were opentypes and had stylistic alternatives.

Thanks
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

While many of the included fonts are OpenType, a good number of them supply stylistic alternates only in AAT tables, and not in OpenType tables as well. Unfortunately, other than looking at the website for the foundry that produced your font, I'm not sure of an easy way built into the OS that allows for one to see the available options.

A nice update to Mellel would be to only show the options that are supported by a particular font family, and dim or not show those that are not available. I usually don't deal with this, because I prefer to use third party fonts that I've purchased because I know they have a full repertoire.
— Robert Cameron
signinstranger

Post by signinstranger »

Ivica

Post by Ivica »

Thanks a lot.

Ivica