Spell checker

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

raymond
Knows everything, can prove it

Spell checker

Post by raymond »

Hello,

I moved from Tiger on iMac G5 to iMacIntel and Leopard, if this change anything.

I am trying to spell check in English, Hebrew and French.
In no one of these languages the spellers functions in Mellel.
I remind that the speller works in Mail and in Text Edit.
Is there exists a special version of Mellel for MacIntel and/or for
Leopard. If yes, I couldn't local it on the redlers site.

What is the problem with my Mellel, last version.

TIA

Raymond
rpcameron

Re: Spell checker

Post by rpcameron »

Trying giving cocoAspell a look. It has user-definable and -installable dictionaries, and can handle multiple languages.
— Robert Cameron
verma

Post by verma »

raymond wrote:Hello,

I moved from Tiger on iMac G5 to iMacIntel and Leopard, if this change anything.

I am trying to spell check in English, Hebrew and French.
In no one of these languages the spellers functions in Mellel.
I remind that the speller works in Mail and in Text Edit.
Is there exists a special version of Mellel for MacIntel and/or for
Leopard. If yes, I couldn't local it on the redlers site.

What is the problem with my Mellel, last version.

TIA

Raymond
Strange - I'm on 10.5.2 and it works fine. I can (yet not simultaneously) spell-check French, English, German in one and the same text using the Mellel spell-checker. If all settings are correct, I'd suggest you send a mail to the support team (Ori and Eyal). They will be able to help you.
Boban

Post by Boban »

cocoAspell looks interesting, but when I try to see if they do Czech it just takes me to an ftp site with abbreviated files I don't understand ('cs' something, might that be Czech – why can't they just have a list?!).

K.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Boban wrote:cocoAspell looks interesting, but when I try to see if they do Czech it just takes me to an ftp site with abbreviated files I don't understand ('cs' something, might that be Czech – why can't they just have a list?!).
That FTP site is the listing of the dictionaries available for use with cocoAspell. They are listed by their ISO 639-1 language codes, which happen to be an international standard for identifying/denoting languages. CS is Czech, just as EN is English, DE is German, ES is Spanish, IT is Italian, &c. For a full listing of ISO 639-1 codes, Wikipedia has a nice listing available here.
— Robert Cameron
Boban

Post by Boban »

Oh, thanks! I suspected at much, but wonder how 'cs' came to mean 'Czech' (perhaps from ye olde days of Czechoslovakia?).

Thanks R. P.

B.
raymond

Post by raymond »

You have "hijacked" my thread, but I got no answer yet :(
raymond

Post by raymond »

rpcameron wrote:Trying giving cocoAspell a look. It has user-definable and -installable dictionaries, and can handle multiple languages.
I have forgotten to mention, but the problems are with cocoAspell, which I used to use all the time.

The problem, I assume, started, since I have migrated my user from tiger to leopard. I have installed the cocoAspell Intel version (last one), but still facing the problem of using the dictionaries of cocoAspell, even after activating them (only few which I need) in the control panel.

Still it doesn't work. Any suggestion?
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

raymond wrote:
rpcameron wrote:Trying giving cocoAspell a look. It has user-definable and -installable dictionaries, and can handle multiple languages.
I have forgotten to mention, but the problems are with cocoAspell, which I used to use all the time.

The problem, I assume, started, since I have migrated my user from tiger to leopard. I have installed the cocoAspell Intel version (last one), but still facing the problem of using the dictionaries of cocoAspell, even after activating them (only few which I need) in the control panel.

Still it doesn't work. Any suggestion?
Sorry, I did not realize you were using cocoAspell. Just a casual browsing of the website seemed to indicate that the current version has not been fully tested with Leopard, but some users claimed to have had success. This sounds like a problem with cocoAspell, and not Mellel. (I say this because there is no native or system-wide supported system to offer spell-checking abilities with multiple languages at the same time.)
— Robert Cameron
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Boban wrote:Oh, thanks! I suspected at much, but wonder how 'cs' came to mean 'Czech' (perhaps from ye olde days of Czechoslovakia?).
As is standard for the ISO names, the CS abbreviation for Czech comes from the Czech word for the language (Česky), where C and S are the first two consonants; CES is the ISO 639-2 code. Similar would be DE for German (Deutsch).
— Robert Cameron
raymond

Post by raymond »

Still it doesn't work. Any suggestion?[/quote]
Sorry, I did not realize you were using cocoAspell. Just a casual browsing of the website seemed to indicate that the current version has not been fully tested with Leopard, but some users claimed to have had success. This sounds like a problem with cocoAspell, and not Mellel. (I say this because there is no native or system-wide supported system to offer spell-checking abilities with multiple languages at the same time.)[/quote]

I am sorry to not explain enough. My issue is not the Multilingual function of cocoAspell. I am not using it at all because of poor results for me in the past.

My problem is spell checking in each language separately, which started since moving to leopard the day before yesterday.
From all my inquiries about the issue I think that the problem is not with Mellel, at least for the time being, but with the software itself.
If I want to remove it from my computer where should I look for its component, and how I can identified the speller which comes with the software?
TIA
Raymond
DVD
New to all this

Post by DVD »

I experienced the same thing when I upgraded to Leopard recently. On the cocoAspell website it is explained that, while the program is compatible with Leopard, it needs to be re-installed for it to function. I re-installed it and re-selected it in the cocoAspell preferences pane, and it has worked ever since.

David
raymond

Post by raymond »

I have succeeded to solve the problem thanks to Anton Leuski the programmer of cocoAspell who wrote me:

" Sounds like you moved your ppc version of cocoAspell from the g5 imac to intel imac. Remove Spelling.pkg, aspell.pkg, and AspelEnglishDictionary.pkg from /Library/Receipts and then download and install cocoAspell for Intel 2.0.4.
-- Anton "

Now, the speller works for all text-processors and in the various languages/

Thanks again for those who tried to help me.
Raymond