mellel beta

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

daiyi
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: mellel beta

Post by daiyi »

Ori Redler wrote:

verma more or less summed it up. With X-refs we've tried, more or less, to create a state-of-the-art feature (i.e., FrameMaker and then some). You'll be able to judge for yourself soon if we've succeeded. We plan to further polish this, and add QuickLook, with 2.5.5 which will come soon and will be a bug-fix-release-come-intermediate-release.
Thanks for the update, Ori. I don't suppose a comments feature will be out with 2.5.5 though?
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

If you just need comments (and no collaboration with Word-users): just add an auto-title-flow "comments" and be happy.
Reiner
DanZac

Post by DanZac »

Thanks for the answers to my questions, very helpful to know. I am VERY HAPPY to hear that quicklook is coming, It is going to be so great to have that.
daiyi

Post by daiyi »

Reiner wrote:If you just need comments (and no collaboration with Word-users): just add an auto-title-flow "comments" and be happy.
Not to sound sarcastic, but to me the point of comments is precisely to collaborate with others (which, of course, means Word users). I do use note streams to make annotations or notes as well. But it's obviously not the same thing. FWIW, Pages' comments feature plays quite nicely with Word.
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

daiyi wrote:
Ori Redler wrote:

verma more or less summed it up. With X-refs we've tried, more or less, to create a state-of-the-art feature (i.e., FrameMaker and then some). You'll be able to judge for yourself soon if we've succeeded. We plan to further polish this, and add QuickLook, with 2.5.5 which will come soon and will be a bug-fix-release-come-intermediate-release.
Thanks for the update, Ori. I don't suppose a comments feature will be out with 2.5.5 though?
No, I don't suppose so either. We have something much bigger and much more important cooking for 2.6, which is now on the drawing table.
Ori Redler from RedleX
shades

Post by shades »

Ori Redler wrote:
No, I don't suppose so either. We have something much bigger and much more important cooking for 2.6, which is now on the drawing table.
Wow, is this the FrameMaker of the future? :D :lol: :D

We can certainly hope so!!
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )
daiyi

Post by daiyi »

Ori Redler wrote:
daiyi wrote:
Ori Redler wrote:

Any hints, Ori? This is all too tempting!
stephenandamanda
Already downloaded the guide

Post by stephenandamanda »

I'm just excited about the coming cross-refs.
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

stephenandamanda wrote:I'm just excited about the coming cross-refs.
I typically don’t correct other poster’s comments, but as you post as Stephen and Amanda, your post should write: we’re just excited… :idea:
bluesdance
Location: NYC [school], rural north of Toronto [summer], Pittsburgh [otherwise]

Post by bluesdance »

i have zero use for cross references but i definitely like the new version. editing title flow formats is easier now.
Mellelers for Undo Reform
DanZac

Post by DanZac »

Ori Redler wrote:We have something much bigger and much more important cooking for 2.6, which is now on the drawing table.
We need some hints here Ori ! :cry:
mbywater
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by mbywater »

With the greatest respect, for those of us who have to maintain communication with the Real World (a.k.a. Poor Fools Who Know No Better) (a.k.a. Publishers), *nothing* could be more important than compatibility with Word's comment and track changes features. It's the main reason I have other WPs on my machine (apart from Scrivener and Ulysses, which earn their keep in the early stages of a project).
rward
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by rward »

mbywater wrote:With the greatest respect, for those of us who have to maintain communication with the Real World (a.k.a. Poor Fools Who Know No Better) (a.k.a. Publishers), *nothing* could be more important than compatibility with Word's comment and track changes features. It's the main reason I have other WPs on my machine....
Just to second this comment. But it's not just publishers -- In the academic world I live in, pretty much everyone I work with uses track changes. There's two problems. FIrst from within Mellel, you can't see what the changes are. Second, it seems that Mellel doesn't always handle .doc files with lots of tracked changes correctly. I've been generally forced to go to word for this, although Pages seems to now do a good job. I would love to start using Mellel again, though!