Footnotes and *.rtf

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

ElefantSau
Got the styles thing figured out

Footnotes and *.rtf

Post by ElefantSau »

Hi all!

I'm fairly new to Mellel and am therefore not very keen on the technical side.

I have to get a lot of my work done on my laptop, which is a windows-machine. In order to keep a productive work-flow, I have to save my word-docs as *.rtf and import them into Mellel at the end of the day.
The problem I am facing is that Mellel does not recognise or import the footnotes properly. The footnotes do appear, but their numbering is wrong. It restarts on every page. Mellel also does not recognise the footnotes as such, but lables their style as "standard+" or something of the like.

Does anyone of you guys know a workaround or solution to this?
verma
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Footnotes and *.rtf

Post by verma »

ElefantSau wrote:Hi all!

I'm fairly new to Mellel and am therefore not very keen on the technical side.

I have to get a lot of my work done on my laptop, which is a windows-machine. In order to keep a productive work-flow, I have to save my word-docs as *.rtf and import them into Mellel at the end of the day.
The problem I am facing is that Mellel does not recognise or import the footnotes properly. The footnotes do appear, but their numbering is wrong. It restarts on every page. Mellel also does not recognise the footnotes as such, but lables their style as "standard+" or something of the like.

Does anyone of you guys know a workaround or solution to this?
Go to Insert > Note > Edit note attributes and adjust the settings to your liking.

Yes, re-import from RTF does not recognize your original styles. You'll have to re-apply them.
ElefantSau

Post by ElefantSau »

Thank you!

I'm going to try your suggestion tonight.
gpolberd

Post by gpolberd »

Hi Elefantsau,

I had the same problem as you. I recommend you take a look at my trick for conversion. It avoids having to reenter the styles, at least for me. See my post under The Nitty and the Gritty: "A Couple of Conversion Tricks (Word docs to Mellel docs)." Hope it helps. It's pretty quick.

Garret
ElefantSau

Post by ElefantSau »

Cheers and wow.

Do you have any idea why this works? It sure seems like quite a timesaver, although I still have to apply the proper style.

Nice one.
gpolberd

Post by gpolberd »

I have no idea why it works. Ori also seemed intrigued that it did. Perhaps it will lead to a solution in future Mellel updates.

Garret
verma

Post by verma »

gpolberd wrote:I have no idea why it works. Ori also seemed intrigued that it did. Perhaps it will lead to a solution in future Mellel updates.

Garret
Do you have a template with that specific style set as default? Copying into such a setting might by a possible explanation?
gpolberd

Post by gpolberd »

verma wrote:
gpolberd wrote:I have no idea why it works. Ori also seemed intrigued that it did. Perhaps it will lead to a solution in future Mellel updates.

Garret
Do you have a template with that specific style set as default? Copying into such a setting might by a possible explanation?
No, no template.
ElefantSau

Post by ElefantSau »

verma wrote:

Garret
When I tried it, the footnotes translated perfectly, but the style was still off.

So no template, I suppose.