cross reference "below"

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

tkt26
Got the styles thing figured out

cross reference "below"

Post by tkt26 »

I love the cross reference capability. Mellel does it right, simple but capable of great complexity.

That said, I'm having trouble with the "Conditional Page Number Format" option. I've got the boxes checked for Above and Below, but it refuses to recognize the bookmark that is placed below the reference. This is possible because the bookmark was originally above the reference, and with some reordering it got moved, which I assume shouldn't be a problem, Mellel should update it automatically. But it refuses the below instruction, either treating it as an "above" or, if above is not checked, then defaulting to the default number format (the #).

I've tried renaming the bookmark, deleting and creating a new bookmark, creating a new reference, remove the check for Above, and it still refuses to accept the below formatting.

It's a problem I can work around, but it's strange, since clearly it should play by the rules.

Thanks
Kevin T.
verma
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: cross reference "below"

Post by verma »

When you double-click on the CR for the bookmark after it has been moved, what kind of text appears in the Edit Reference pane? If you moved you bookmark, instead of seeing the bookmark when you click on the reference, the Preview pane should read "This target is not associated with any part of the document" because moving it will generate a bookmark copy. You'll typuically would have to edit the bookmark again and rename it to the original name.

Example: you start with a bookmark labeled "benchmark" on page 14. You use a CR on page 13 to point to it, using the conditional format. All is fine. Then you move the bookmark to page 4. You'll notice in the Outline that at that point, the bookmark will no longer be called "benchmark" but rather "benchmark copy 1". And that's the problem for your CR. You can edit the bookmark's name and it will work again.

Update: I saw that the palette search for ambigous references doesn't handle this one (it can't find it). That will end up as bug report.
tkt26

Post by tkt26 »

I still can't get the below functionality to work. If I create a new CR on p. 28, connect it to a bookmark that is below it on p. 92 (any of the bookmarks below it, it doesn't matter), and enter "see below, #" in the the conditional page number format, it will only insert the # (that is, 92, without the "see below, " text).

If there is text in the "above" text window in the conditional page number format window, it will choose that, even if the BM is below.

Not a problem, I can create my own below CR, it's just I can't get this option to work.
verma
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by verma »

tkt26 wrote:I still can't get the below functionality to work. If I create a new CR on p. 28, connect it to a bookmark that is below it on p. 92 (any of the bookmarks below it, it doesn't matter), and enter "see below, #" in the the conditional page number format, it will only insert the # (that is, 92, without the "see below, " text).

If there is text in the "above" text window in the conditional page number format window, it will choose that, even if the BM is below.

Not a problem, I can create my own below CR, it's just I can't get this option to work.
Hmm. Weird. I have no problems creating a conditional page number.
I'm not sure if we take the following steps - here are mine:

1. Insert > Insert CR > Inser Reference
2. Select the Bookmark from the existing targets
3. In the "Reference Formats", select Page# Conditional
4. Double-click the format
5. Check the check-box Above and Below
6. Modify the textbox as you want (in your case: See below, page #)
7. Click OK

Doing so, I have a conditional reference that says "See below, page 13" pointing towards a bookmark. Ditto with "above".

Are you doing it differently?
tkt26

Post by tkt26 »

I may not have been choosing, in the "Reference Formats", select Page# Conditional. I may have been changing the reference format (double-clicking the format) without having Page# Conditional already chosen. I will explore. Thanks.

kt