mellel's default citation format?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

physci
Got the styles thing figured out

mellel's default citation format?

Post by physci »

What's the default citation format in mellel?

For eg: Mellel inputs my citation as:

{Noran et al., 2008, Science, 101, 391-411}

What is this format of? APA? MLA? Vancouver? I haven't been successful in reproducing this format.

Pls advise. Thanks.
DanZac
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: mellel's default citation format?

Post by DanZac »

First off, which citation manager are you using?

Second, Mellel doesn't determine what the temporary citation looks like (besides its color), pre or post scan. That is the job of the bib.manager.

If you are using Bookends:
It looks like you have chosen a format as the paste style for the temporary citation. I wouldn't recommend this— choose Author/Date/Unique ID instead. Then use the scan feature in Mellel so BE properly formats your citations according the style you choose.

Hope this helps
physci

Post by physci »

Thanks, DanZac.

I assumed different. I use Mellel+Bookends. I was under the impression that Mellel controlled the temporary citations and BE formatted it as per requirements.

I have a specific formatting requirement. Can you (or anyone) help? Greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
This is what I would like to have:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit (Noran et al., 2008, Science, 101). Maecenas interdum nulla (John et al., 2001, Nature, 312). Etiam volutpat neque non erat.

Bibliography:

Noren F, Ssdsed J, Gaudry A, Mike G, Asered B. Praesent hendrerit aenean scelerisque elit non sapien. Science. 2008; 101: 269-314.

John D, Klopas J, Flored S et al. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et ac turpis egestas. Nature 2001;312:1041-1046.

DanZac wrote:First off, which citation manager are you using?

Second, Mellel doesn't determine what the temporary citation looks like (besides its color), pre or post scan. That is the job of the bib.manager.

If you are using Bookends:
It looks like you have chosen a format as the paste style for the temporary citation. I wouldn't recommend this— choose Author/Date/Unique ID instead. Then use the scan feature in Mellel so BE properly formats your citations according the style you choose.

Hope this helps
physci

Post by physci »

Can anyone help in this?

I cannot use numbers (referencing my bibliography) in my citation. I am required to present as (Author, Year, Journal, Issue) as my citation.

Incidentally this is the format of the default bookends temporary citation in mellel, and I'm trying to make it as a permanent citation.

Pls advise. Thanks in advance.
frank

Post by frank »

If I understand correctly the way Mellel and Bookends work, the way the temporary citations look like is responsibility of Bookends. Mellel just converts the in-text text citations (the ones between curly brackets) to objects (as opposed to just text), and the final citations are also responsibility of Bookends. You would need to find in Bookends' formats manager a reference format that matches the one you're looking for, of if you don’t fine one, you can just modify the one that it is closest to the one you want and edit its settings (I had to do one for an Australian journal that had specific requirements).
physci

Post by physci »

Thanks, frank.

As an update, Jon at Bookends was very helpful in getting this figured out for me. If it will help anyone, here is the link to the bookends forums where this problem was solved.
http://www.sonnysoftware.com/phpBB3/vie ... f=2&t=2052

As a summary, as per Jon:
Bookends formats (order fields) create bibliographies, citations are created on the second tab (two built-in: numbered and author-date). For others types, one needs to create a format for the citation (a custom citation format) and then "call" it from the "master" format.