How do I set up Automator to compress my Mellel docs?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

catanalotes
Already downloaded the guide

How do I set up Automator to compress my Mellel docs?

Post by catanalotes »

I realize this is more of a Mac question, but I'm only interested in it because of the way I save my Mellel docs. Sadly, I'm fairly sure that someone on this forum recently gave me advice about how to carry out this procedure, but I wanted to sort of re-post my request.

Here is what I want specifically. I would like to set up Automator to automatically compress the Mellel file I am working on whenever I quit Mellel (this is for the purpose of saving to my iDisk). I would like someone to, first of all, confirm that Automator can do such a thing for me; and, second, to describe how to set it up (as detailed as possible since I have never used Automator before).

If the good people of the Mellel forums can't help me, I'll try to post a similar request on the appropriate Apple Support forum.

Thanks!
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: How do I set up Automator to compress my Mellel docs?

Post by rpcameron »

Yes, what you are asking for is indeed possible, but a little convoluted to set up. It includes setting up Folder Actions, an AppleScript as well well as the Automater action or workflow you want to use. (An easier method would be to use only the AppleScript.)

I'm not very fluent in AppleScript, so I'll have to browse around and see if I can get the details exactly right. But, there is an included Folder Action script that watches for new files in a folder, which can be modified to archive and copy that file to your iDisk. I'm sure it shouldn't be too much more work to get it to look for modified files of a specific type. Give me a couple days to see what I might be able to cobble together for you, and perhaps we'll have a working script to achieve what you're looking for.

But, as a short/brief answer, yes, what you are asking for is possible, just not with only Automator.
— Robert Cameron
catanalotes

Post by catanalotes »

Dear rpcameron,

I sincerely appreciate your offer to look into the matter about which I posted. If you are able to find out more information I will gladly try to apply your directions. However, please don't go through any trouble for my sake. Nonetheless I'm sure that any more information you can find will lead to a richer "Mellel experience" for me certainly, but hopefully for others as well.

Thanks again!
DylanMuir

Post by DylanMuir »

The "document" part of the .mellel container is a compressed (gzipped) .xml file. Figures which you insert into a document are stored as copies of the original files, so whatever compression you use on them will be carried through.

I was able to save 3 Mb of a 13 Mb document (mostly made of images, some EPS -- uncompressed?). A smaller document with no images didn't decrease in size.

If your document is text-only, I don't imagine you'll save much space. If you use compressed image formats, again, you probably won't save much space.

DRM
catanalotes

Post by catanalotes »

Thanks for your comment.

Actually, compressing my Mellel files has little to do with saving space (at least overtly): it's just the best way for me to get all of the file onto my iDisk.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Just an update I haven't forgotten about the script, I'm just out of town, and have limited internet access (as I'm using my mobile as a modem ... connections are a bit tenuous and slow). I hope to have something cobbled together within a week.
— Robert Cameron
catanalotes

Post by catanalotes »

Dear rpcameron,

Thanks again!

I myself am trying to finish up my dissertation, so I may not be checking the forums for the next week or two . . .
verma

Post by verma »

catanalotes wrote:Dear rpcameron,

Thanks again!

I myself am trying to finish up my dissertation, so I may not be checking the forums for the next week or two . . .
I posted this a while ago - dunno if it helps you out.
See http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php? ... +zip#p9950
catanalotes

Post by catanalotes »

Dear verma,

Thank you. You basically located for me the post I referred to in my original post!

This time I have printed out your suggestion. However, I'm embarrassed to say it's still quite technical to me, so I'm still holding out hope that rpcameron will be able to "fill out" what your post has.

But thanks again!
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

catanalotes wrote:Dear verma,

Thank you. You basically located for me the post I referred to in my original post!

This time I have printed out your suggestion. However, I'm embarrassed to say it's still quite technical to me, so I'm still holding out hope that rpcameron will be able to "fill out" what your post has.

But thanks again!
I'm still trying to find a way to have the AppleScript and Folder Action look for modified files as opposed to newly created files, however verma's solution is less technical than mine will be. I'm afraid that if you have trouble following that description, then you might be quite lost in the end.

However, that hasn't deterred me, and I will continue to find a script that will compress modified files.
— Robert Cameron