quicklook

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

nicka
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: quicklook

Post by nicka »

Have the Redlers previously indicated they would implement linkback support?
Obviously I'm not them, but I'm pretty sure they have not said that. Not on the forum or the Yahoo Group, at least.
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

Danoz wrote:
Ori Redler wrote:OOPS -- I meant to say -- implemented in Mellel 2.5.5.
Fantastic!! Any idea about a release date?
The feature, along with two other important features (both, sadly for our PR, more under the hood than above it), are already done and ready to ship, but we still want to add some other features. We believe that we'll be in beta this month and realeas early next month.
Ori Redler from RedleX
dstay
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by dstay »

Now that DEVONthink 2.0 is in internal beta and will support quicklook, I'm even more anxious to see Mellel getting this long promissed functionality.
daiyi

Post by daiyi »

dstay wrote:Now that DEVONthink 2.0 is in internal beta and will support quicklook, I'm even more anxious to see Mellel getting this long promissed functionality.
Devon Think 2.0 is in beta now? It's only been three years or so.
DanZac

Post by DanZac »

daiyi wrote:Devon Think 2.0 is in beta now? It's only been three years or so.
Yep, DT 2.0 is in beta. Sweet!
daiyi

Post by daiyi »

DanZac wrote:
daiyi wrote:Devon Think 2.0 is in beta now? It's only been three years or so.
Yep, DT 2.0 is in beta. Sweet!
Sweet, but I still won't hold my breath. 2.0 was supposed to be coming out a few years ago. Devon has to be among the slowest developers I have ever seen. I hope the new DB is snappier than version 1.xx.

Looking more forward to Mellel 2.5.5. Better Word integration would be great (especially "Comments"), though I won't be expecting that immediately either. But if Pages can do it......
jwiegley
New to all this

Post by jwiegley »

daiyi wrote:Sweet, but I still won't hold my breath. 2.0 was supposed to be coming out a few years ago. Devon has to be among the slowest developers I have ever seen. I hope the new DB is snappier than version 1.xx.
It's about an order of magnitude snappier, actually.

John
daiyi

Post by daiyi »

jwiegley wrote:
daiyi wrote:Sweet, but I still won't hold my breath. 2.0 was supposed to be coming out a few years ago. Devon has to be among the slowest developers I have ever seen. I hope the new DB is snappier than version 1.xx.
It's about an order of magnitude snappier, actually.

John
Looking forward to it! Any word on Mellel 2.5.5?
ppnkg
Read the guide!

Post by ppnkg »

Any word on Mellel 2.5.5? or 2.6? or quicklook fix? bug fixes?
gpolberd

Post by gpolberd »

2.6 is in a beta version. Should be out very shortly.
mbywater
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by mbywater »

DevonThink 2 public beta is out today. Alas, Mellel files still remain utterly opaque to it. I don't know whether QuickLook will help when Mellel 2.6 appears. Currently DevonThink seems to be aware of the text in a Mellel document, but can't display it in any way. To get a sense of context, you have to open, in Mellel, each of the documents that DevonThink finds. I suppose the usefulness of a QuickLook preview will depend on the implementation...
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

I can confirm that both Mellel 2.6 beta and DevonThink 2 beta works great with each other. As far as I can tell, please do not quote me :wink: , it looks to me that the text within the Mellel document is displayed through the help of QuickLook preview, just as mbywater mentioned above. In that way, you do not have to open each document in Mellel just to be able to read the text. But if you want to edit the document, you have to let DevonThink open the document in Mellel first, then you could edit the text or whatever you need to edit. After you have saved the changes made in the Mellel document, the changes are displayed also within DevonThink with the help of QuickLook.

Quoted from DevonThinks website:
All documents are stored as-is now, you can edit them using any external application and link to them using a standard URL. DEVONthink 2.0 supports many more common file formats, e.g., Microsoft Word, OpenOffice, iWork files, or Skim files. It also indexes and displays all files supported by or supporting Spotlight and Quicklook, e.g., Mellel.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
DanZac

Post by DanZac »

macsailor wrote:I can confirm that both Mellel 2.6 beta and DevonThink 2 beta works great with each other. As far as I can tell, please do not quote me :wink: , it looks to me that the text within the Mellel document is displayed through the help of QuickLook preview, just as mbywater mentioned above. In that way, you do not have to open each document in Mellel just to be able to read the text. But if you want to edit the document, you have to let DevonThink open the document in Mellel first, then you could edit the text or whatever you need to edit. After you have saved the changes made in the Mellel document, the changes are displayed also within DevonThink with the help of QuickLook.
Not only that, but DT 2.0 will also utilize the Spotlight integration to also index the text in the Mellel file, so your Mellel files will be included in DT's powerful search functionality