F-Key Problems (Style Variations)

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Roger
Read the guide, knows everything

F-Key Problems (Style Variations)

Post by Roger »

When applying Character Style Variations using the F-keys, the first 3 work fine (F1, F2, F3), but F4, F5, and F6 do nothing, while F7 and F8 work normally again.

When I apply the Variations via the Character Style panel (A, B, C, D, etc.) they all work as expected.

Where can I look to see what has hijacked my F4-F6 keys. Keyboard shortcuts (in the System Preferences) does not show those keys in use.

Thanks!
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: F-Key Problems (Style Variations)

Post by ozean »

Maybe you can try Service Scrubber?

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20 ... e-scrubber
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I do have the same problem as Roger, but for some strange reason only on my desktop, not on my laptop (both run the same version of the OS - X.5.4 - and the same version of Mellel).
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks for the note on Service Scrubber, but it did not reveal any Service using my F-Keys. Any more ideas?
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by riccardo »

From my perspective, the F-Key problem is the F-Key. Don't you just love trying to hit those tiny F-Keys on the iBook all day long?! I get the intellectual elegance behind the F-Key concept, but in practice it's a pain in the, uh, fingertips. Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but I couldn't resist the opening.
Roger

Post by Roger »

My computer was desperately in need of more storage space, so when I upgraded the hard drive and did a clean install of the OS, my F-Key problems disappeared and F1 through F8 are functional again. I never figured out what was interfering with them.
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

Roger wrote:When applying Character Style Variations using the F-keys, the first 3 work fine (F1, F2, F3), but F4, F5, and F6 do nothing, while F7 and F8 work normally again.

When I apply the Variations via the Character Style panel (A, B, C, D, etc.) they all work as expected.

Where can I look to see what has hijacked my F4-F6 keys. Keyboard shortcuts (in the System Preferences) does not show those keys in use.

Thanks!
I doubt if this is related to Mellel. It's probably some other application hi-jacking this. The comment about the F-keys being annoying, well, is another story. They Are annoying.
Ori Redler from RedleX
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

There is a setting in the Keyboard page of the Keyboard & Mouse Preference Pane for "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys." If this option is not selected, you have to use the "fn" key on the keyboard in conjunction with the desired function key. This is not only the case for laptops, but also for those using the new aluminum keyboards (wired and wireless). This could be a source of your problem, as well. If this is the problem, select the option, so you would have to use the "fn" key to access the printed functions of the keys (play, pause, volume, &c.).
— Robert Cameron
Roger

Post by Roger »

rpcameron, I'm using one ofe the older full size keyboard (that does not even have a "fn" key. But that is great information for when I might need a new keyboard! Thanks. As I mentioned earlier, the problem was solved with a clean install. It must have been some program that had hijacked those keys for its own purposes.