Mellel ignores trailing blanks (spaces) in centered text

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Would you prefer Mellel to show trailing spaces in centered text?

Absolutely! This would be a tremendous help.
67%
I really don't care either way.
No votes
No. I prefer it the way it is.
33%

Total votes: 12

Roger
Read the guide, knows everything

Mellel ignores trailing blanks (spaces) in centered text

Post by Roger »

Mellel ignores trailing blanks (spaces) when centering text. I find this behavior extremely annoying and counter productive! When typing centered text, there is no way to whether the last word has a space after it, or needs a space after it, until I begin typing the next word. Since I think as I type (as I suspect most writers do), this results in countless corrections to either add or remove spaces. I would like to request for Mellel to show trailing spaces in centered text.

Please indicate your preference in the poll. If you care to explain your preference, that would be helpful also.
Got the styles thing figured out

Re: Mellel ignores trailing blanks (spaces) in centered text

Post by rwebber »

I believe the best option would be to have Mellel ignore trailing spaces in centered text, but to respond to an option-space if the task necessitated it.

Regards,

Ron
macsailor
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by macsailor »

To be true WYSIWYG, I believe that Mellel ought to show the trailing blanks in centred text. I agree with Roger on this one, even if I do not use centred text a lot, but when I do, I want it to behave as WYSIWYG as possible.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
ozean
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by ozean »

rwebber wrote:I believe the best option would be to have Mellel ignore trailing spaces in centered text, but to respond to an option-space if the task necessitated it.
I believe that the poll only calls for an on-screen display of space(s) at the end of a line that is soft-wrapped to the next line. As it is now, there is no visual clue if and how many spaces there are between the word at the end of a line and before the first word in the next line.

That is I do not think that this poll asks for making spaces at the end of a line (centered or not) change the actual layout of the document.
Fire Angel
Read the guide!

Post by Fire Angel »

I'd like Mellel to show trailing spaces on screen while I am typing so I know they are there, but not to use them in the centring of the text, as they really shouldn't affect that. This would allow users to see if their text had spaces it needed/didn't need, but would centre the text properly as Mellel already does.
Old Chinese proverb:

The man who does not make mistakes
usually does not make anything.