Default printer not remembered?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

kga1978
Read the guide!

Default printer not remembered?

Post by kga1978 »

I have noticed that 2.6/2.6.1 doesn't appear to remember my default printer? Under my printer I have set 'last used' as default, but Mellel always seems to use the same printer - irrespective of whether this printer was last used. All other programs appear to obey my printer settings, so I was wondering whether this is a bug in Mellel, or whether I am doing something wrong?

Thanks very much.
ozean
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Default printer not remembered?

Post by ozean »

Yes, something in Mellel’s printer remembering is strange. I have also been surprised by the printer it is offering, but I never took the time to figure out if there is some kind of logic or not…
kga1978
Read the guide!

Post by kga1978 »

Okay, been playing around with this for days now - and Mellel does seem to wonder its own ways when it comes to selecting default printer. Could the Redler guys, please add this in their BUG tracker?
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

I can't remember that I ever had any strange printer problems with Mellel starting using Mellel 5 years ago or so. (I'm still on 10.4.11)
Reiner
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

Reiner wrote:I can't remember that I ever had any strange printer problems with Mellel starting using Mellel 5 years ago or so. (I'm still on 10.4.11)
Same here and I’m currently using MacOSX 10.5.6 toghether with Mellel 2.6.1
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
verma

Post by verma »

For testing's sake I added a few printers and indeed: Mellel remembers the first one in the list and takes that to be default (even when it's not, in System Prefs).

I've found that changing the name of the printer (not its address) in the Sys Prefs allows you to move your real default printer topmost in the Sys Prefs list, and as such Mellel will then always select that one as default. I added several network printers, and changed the names of all of them in order to have an alphabetical order in which my "default" one is now top of the (alphanumeric) list.

It's a work-around, I guess, but far from perfect.
kga1978
Read the guide!

Post by kga1978 »

verma wrote:I've found that changing the name of the printer (not its address) in the Sys Prefs allows you to move your real default printer topmost in the Sys Prefs list, and as such Mellel will then always select that one as default. I added several network printers, and changed the names of all of them in order to have an alphabetical order in which my "default" one is now top of the (alphanumeric) list.
I found this to be working as well, but the problem is that I use multiple different default printers in different buildings - hence I have set the default printer in system preferences to be the 'last used' (also, if the 'last used' printer is offline, the next on the list will be chosen - which is very important as I move around a lot). I believe this must be a bug in Mellel, and it would be great if it could be fixed in the next version.

Thanks,
K
verma

Post by verma »

kga1978 wrote:
I found this to be working as well, but the problem is that I use multiple different default printers in different buildings - hence I have set the default printer in system preferences to be the 'last used' (also, if the 'last used' printer is offline, the next on the list will be chosen - which is very important as I move around a lot). I believe this must be a bug in Mellel, and it would be great if it could be fixed in the next version.

Thanks,
K
That's indeed a case that cannot be solved apart from making your preferences location-aware. There's some shareware out there that can make an attempt, I'm not sure how successful it turns out to be.
signinstranger

Post by signinstranger »

verma wrote:There's some shareware out there that can make an attempt, I'm not sure how successful it turns out to be.
http://www.symonds.id.au/marcopolo/
verma

Post by verma »

signinstranger wrote:
verma wrote:There's some shareware out there that can make an attempt, I'm not sure how successful it turns out to be.
http://www.symonds.id.au/marcopolo/
Thanks, although since Jan 2 2009 I'm no longer moving between different locations. Any experience with Marco Polo?