Mellel261 and Devonthink20pb3

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

kithairon
New to all this

Mellel261 and Devonthink20pb3

Post by kithairon »

Question to Mellel developers.Devonthink offers a link-function: in a chosen file within DT a link to this specific file can be created, copied to the clipboard and then pasted into any other text app. The result in most apps is a live link leading back to the specified file in DT's database. This is a great way to connect from different apps and external documents to Devon database content. I found it works practically with all my applications except with Mellel. I posted about this in the DT-forum. Here the reply of one of the developers:
Seems that Mellel (contrary to e.g. TextEdit, Safari, iCal or the Finder) isn't using all information supplied by DEVONthink, e.g. ignores "CorePasteboardFlavorType 0x75726C6E" or "WebURLsWithTitlesPboardType". These types define the suggested title for the link. Without the title, one gets only the raw URL (x-devonthink-item://....).
There seems something similar happening with iWork (can't confirm since I don' use it). Here the developer's comment that may be of use:
But that's a bug in iWork, I can confirm it and will send a bug report to Apple. If you can do the same it may be fixed sometime in iWork '11. I would also report it to the Mellel developers.
Update: it's reported to Apple as radr://6621254 and you can reference to it in your report.
Any chance to get this fixed in Mellel so the result is not just a raw URL but a live link? This would be great.

kithairon
kithairon
New to all this

Re: Mellel261 and Devonthink20pb3/4

Post by kithairon »

Update:
No news from the Redlers on this. The developers over at DevonThink don't seem to think that this is a big thing:
At least Mellel's developers should be able to support those pasteboard types within a few minutes.
(The WebURLsWithTitlesPboardType or CorePasteboardFlavorType 'urln'.)

It would be great if Mellel's team could give this some thought.
Thanks,
kithairon
DanZac
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Mellel261 and Devonthink20pb3

Post by DanZac »

Mellel doesn't support live links, unfortunately. One thing you can do in the meantime is assign a shortcut key of your choice to the "Open URL" in the Services menu (use the program Service Scrubber to change the shortcut).

Then you can highlight the plain text link, hit your shortcut key, and the item will open in DT.
kithairon
New to all this

Re: Mellel261 and Devonthink20pb3/4

Post by kithairon »

This is a fine workaround! Thanks, DanZac for pointing this one out. And it even works for other apps as well. As you suggested, I assigned a shortcut to the service menu's "Open URL" and this does the job well. I did this in OSX's SystemPreferences as I couldn't do it with Service Scrubber; there is an issue with "signed" apps – SystemUIServer is one of them – and they apparently can not be edited (or convinced to disappear) anymore. Anyway, you solved my issue, thanks again.
kithairon
DanZac
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Mellel261 and Devonthink20pb3

Post by DanZac »

glad I could help :D