help with simple find and replace

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

DanZac
Knows everything, can prove it

help with simple find and replace

Post by DanZac »

I find Mellel's find and replace terribly confusing, so I'm wondering if someone can help with a relatively simple operation. I'd like to find #:# (#=any digit) and replace ONLY the colon in between with a period.

Thanks
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: help with simple find and replace

Post by rpcameron »

In the Find and Replace window, set up your find expression as: [Digit]:[Digit] . (The [Digit] entry refers to the item from the "Insert element" dropdown. Next, create a reference for the digits in the find expression. To do this, select the first [Digit] item. When it is selected, click on the group button (its icon looks like it has a set of brackets – [ ] – on it). Do the same thing for the second [Digit] element.

In the replace section, create your expression as: [Backreference].[Backreference] . (Likewise, [Backreference] is found in the "Insert element" dropdown.) The symbol for both elements should resemble "<1". Double-click on the second one, and change its "Group index" to 2. Now you're all set.

(I've attached an image to show what the final Find and Replace window looks like.)
— Robert Cameron