insert line / frame -- feature request

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

dialektik
Got the styles thing figured out

insert line / frame -- feature request

Post by dialektik »

hi there,

i am having a rather frustrating experience redesigning my cv as well as some online publications with Mellel because i can't find an easy way to create simple lines above and below titles. (yes, i know there are workarounds, such as the ones posted here http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php? ... +underline and here http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php? ... line#p9403) but these workarounds are rather complicated and cause problems when you want to use lines in auto-titles and so on.

to insert a line or a frame around text seems a pretty basic function. why can't mellel handle this? would it be possible to include it in a future release?

thanks.
petrus
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: insert line / frame -- feature request

Post by petrus »

Recently Ori suggested that the next release of Mellel will include floating images as well as "text boxes." It is entirely possible that these new features will present a solution, as they seem related to what you describe.
dialektik

Post by dialektik »

petrus wrote:Recently Ori suggested that the next release of Mellel will include floating images as well as "text boxes." It is entirely possible that these new features will present a solution, as they seem related to what you describe.
I downloaded the new version of Mellel, but I am not sure whether it is possible to draw a line below (or above) a paragraph. Am I missing something? Thanks.
ozean
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by ozean »

Nope, still not possible.

(Same goes true for floating text boxes. Unless, that is, you embed your text into an image. :roll: )
dialektik

Post by dialektik »

ozean wrote:Nope, still not possible.
Is this feature difficult to implement? Can we get some input from the developers? This would seem to me a pretty useful and important feature. I can't be the only one around her who wants to use lines and frames as visual devices to structure titles, c.v.'s and the like...
uernst
New to all this

Post by uernst »

Well, not good news. This'll keep me from preparing a final draft in Mellel (I need underline/overline for headers and footers).
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

uernst wrote:Well, not good news. This'll keep me from preparing a final draft in Mellel (I need underline/overline for headers and footers).
I'm afraid overline or a table are still the way to go. We'll try to add this soon.
Ori Redler from RedleX
euanmckay

Post by euanmckay »

While you're at it, please consider allowing adding a line anywhere around a paragraph - so either above, below, left or right.
Ideal would be an option to have the line fit just the text, or to fit the text plus padding.
[I know this is hackable with tables, but table cells don't split across pages.]

Thanks!