Font size of citation and bibligrapy

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Murando
Got the styles thing figured out

Font size of citation and bibligrapy

Post by Murando »

I am using Mellel with BookEnds. How can I get a citation dragged from Bookend have size 12pt in my text and in the bibliography 10pt?
I found the bibliography settings in the preferences but the replacement for formatting seems to be used for both citation and bibliography.
DylanMuir
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Font size of citation and bibligrapy

Post by DylanMuir »

I'm using bookends. In my documents, the citation style is taken from the applied paragraph and character styles in the text. The bibliography styles are applied via the translations in Mellel's bibliography preferences.

DRM
Murando
Got the styles thing figured out

Re: Font size of citation and bibliography

Post by Murando »

I have a different experience - scanning the document changes the style of the citation. The temporary citation has the paragraph settings, after scanning the citation has the style of the bibliography settings. Is there any setup I missed?
DylanMuir

Post by DylanMuir »

Sometimes I have that problem too. There seem to be two possible ways to set the character style of a citation: you can highlight the citation in the text of the document and set the style; you can also open up the citation dialog, select the temporary citation and set the style there. When I've had the problem of the citation style changing when I do a scan, it's always because the temporary citation inside the citation dialog was set incorrectly.

I hope that helps you.

DRM
loquat149
Read the guide!

Post by loquat149 »

DylanMuir wrote:When I've had the problem of the citation style changing when I do a scan, it's always because the temporary citation inside the citation dialog was set incorrectly.
DRM
Yea, I found this out the hard way yesterday after about 2 hours of struggling to find where a mystery character style was coming from. I'd re-defined the font for some character styles and used "Edit > Replace Styles..." to make sure "char_1" was completely replaced with "char_2". However, after Unscanning/Scanning the inline citations were tagged with multiple styles. I'd have to re-run "Edit >Replace Styles..." each time after scanning for citations and replace "char_1" with "char_2" even though "char_1" was supposedly completely removed from the document AND style set. The trick as Dylan alluded to is to Unscan, Replace Styles, then Scan as the temporary citations hold their original character specifications for some reason and aren't impacted by the "Replace Styles" command. Subsequent use of unscan/scan then provides the appropriate character style.

BTW, is this a bug or a feature?

Dave
DylanMuir

Post by DylanMuir »

I say bug. Why should the temporary citation [b]within[/b] the citation dialog be able to have a different character style than the citation text in the document?

DRM