Equations, LatexIt, and Auto-numbering

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

loquat149
Read the guide!

Equations, LatexIt, and Auto-numbering

Post by loquat149 »

Has anyone had any luck auto-numbering equations generated by Latexit, say, in the style of a LaTeX article (i.e., the equation is centered and the number is right-aligned)?

Thanks,
Dave
DylanMuir
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Equations, LatexIt, and Auto-numbering

Post by DylanMuir »

Yes.

With Mellel 2.7 it should be very easy, since autotitles can appear at any point in a line.

You should make a new autotitle tag flow, called "equations". It should just be something like (tab)((Prev #).(Curr #)). That way the equations will be numbered like (4.2), where "4" is the section number and "2" is the equation number. You should associate the autotitle with a paragraph style that has a single centre-align tab somewhere near the middle of the page, and a single right-align tab at the right edge of the page.

Now you can drag in an equation from latexit, then add an equation autotitle. Or vice versa. You will need to add an extra tab in front of the equation, so that it reaches the centre tab. I just checked this out in Mellel, and it works.

DRM
loquat149
Read the guide!

Post by loquat149 »

Thanks, Dylan. Now I have a reason to upgrade to 2.7.

Dave
laup

Post by laup »

Thanks for me too. I already had 2.7, but hadn't noticed this change, which was quite welcome!
Paul
DylanMuir

Post by DylanMuir »

Hi guys,

You can accomplish this without upgrading; I had everything working (using a slightly different technique) with 2.6. The trick is to make an autotitle that is designed to be in a right-to-left paragraph (for a left-to-right document). That way the numbering appears at the "start" of the paragraph, which then happens to be on the right. Play around with it in 2.6 and you'll work it out. It's more fiddly than the 2.7 solution, but works in any case.

DRM