Update producing multiple apps

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

dmeek
New to all this

Update producing multiple apps

Post by dmeek »

When I update Mellel via the Update option, it creates a new copy of the application in the application folder. I now have Mellel and Mellel.app.1 icons. I support a Mellel user who has 6 copies of the application, the last one being Mellel.app.1.1.1.1.1

How do we prevent this from happening? We are both running 10.6 on the MacBook Pro.

Thanks
ozean
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Update producing multiple apps

Post by ozean »

Currently it seems as if the only/best solution is to not use the automatic update function and instead download the most recent version manually. The problem is that the existing Mellel application, which is in fact a bundle (i.e. a folder that is presented as a file), cannot be overwritten directly. This seems to be because one of the files in the bundle is used even when Mellel has been quit (I think it is a file related to spotlight or quick preview). Thus you need to move your old version of Mellel to the trash before you can manually drag the new Mellel app into the folder from which you deleted the old version.

This is pretty annoying and affects a lot of users – I would hope that the Redlers provide a fix for this soon. Maybe it would even be a good idea to make a sticky for this issue, so that people quickly find a solution when they encounter this problem…
dmeek
New to all this

Post by dmeek »

This is good enough for now, thanks. However, I don't know what posting a sticky means or how to do it.
ozean
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by ozean »

dmeek wrote:However, I don't know what posting a sticky means or how to do it.
Oh, this is only something that only the forum moderators (i.e. the Redlers) can do.

Making it a sticky means to take a forum thread and pin it to the top of the list, so that people who come here looking for a solution will quickly find it. :)