How to delete references in Bookends

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

raymond
Knows everything, can prove it

How to delete references in Bookends

Post by raymond »

Hello,

I was importing references from the internet, and by mistake I have imported more than 100 references to an existing DB.

How I am deleting these entries? they are from 95 to 198 reference.

TIA
macula
Knows everything, can also explain

Re: How to delete references in Bookends

Post by macula »

You can sort your bibliographic entries by creation date (e.g. from most recent to oldest). Assuming that you haven't added any other (or too many) references after your accidental import, the imported references should appear one after the other at (or near) the top of the list. Just select them all and delete them.
raymond

Post by raymond »

Thanks for your reply.
The accidentally imported references are arranged in a very clear setup from 95 to 198 references.
So, my question is very simple: How do I delete these references entries?
TIA for a step by step explanations as I am almost beginners on BE.
DylanMuir

Post by DylanMuir »

Select "All" in the groups list, select the reference in the list on the right, and press the "delete" key.

Isn't this a question for the bookends forum?

DRM
raymond

Post by raymond »

Yes, this is a question for the BE forum.
The problem there, that I have, is that there, there are two problems. One is that Jon answers too many times, devotedly, but not leaving space to other members of the forum to participate, at least when it comes to my questions when I'm looking for assistance.
The second problem is that here one can get an answer, and then, if he is unable to digest or to understand completely, comes another answer which helps.
There, a follow up question, would sent you, me, by Jon, to read the user guide, and, for me, the user guide of BE is not practical at all. There is no such as Mellel for Beginners as the one done by Don.

Now to my follow up question, if you still have patient:
Where is the "All" command among the different menus. Where is the "group list" and how I identify it.

TIA
daiyi

Post by daiyi »

I understand the frustration of learning a new application, especially one as sophisticated as Bookends. That said, I think that you're being grossly unfair to Jon, who is most supportive of Bookends users and explained things very clearly in the forum there.

If you go to the following web page, you'll see the "Groups" pane in the upper left-hand corner of the screen capture. Under that, you will see "all," which when selected will bring up all your references. Once all of them are showing in the list view to the immediate right of the Groups pain, then you may select entries for deletion.

Here is the link.

http://www.sonnysoftware.com/bookends/bookends.html
raymond

Post by raymond »

Thanks for your practical explanations. It is clearer now to me.
I didn't know about this webpage you referring to me. I find it much more helping than the user guide of BE. I have to go on it more to learn it.

If you see Jon replies to me on a similar topic on BE forum, you would probably understand my frustration from Jon answers to my questions.

I am sorry, but I need to work on BE and not spending my time understanding answers which bring me to dead end possibilities.
I appreciate very much the work of Jon. The problem is that Jon could not find someone like Don for Mellel. Not everyone, at least not myself, is able to confront the user guide of BE and even the tutorial document he is offering us, which is not always useful, for me, exactly as the Tutorials Mellel proposes on their website.
And I am blessing from Ori helps, sometime, who explains me, step by step, sometimes with screen pictures, a topic I couldn't handle.
It is good that Jon answers so much questions on the forum. I wonder sometimes, if this is not limits the participation of others on the forum of BE.

I hope that we shall be able to be assisted by good souls when we are in need on various aspects of BE, and sometime, about Mellel.
raymond

Post by raymond »

And derived question: When I want to look for references on the internet with BE, which is the source, among the many offered by BE, which gives the references as well as their abstracts?
ozean

Post by ozean »

raymond wrote:When I want to look for references on the internet with BE, which is the source, among the many offered by BE, which gives the references as well as their abstracts?
This is very difficult to answer, because we don’t know what kind of references you are dealing with. Maybe we can help you if we know whether you are in medicine, natural sciences, social science or the humanities? Are you looking for books or journal articles?
raymond

Post by raymond »

I am in humanities, and looking for, mainly journal articles, but also books' chapters, or as well books.
ozean

Post by ozean »

Then I would recommend Columbia University and the University of California (Melvyl?) filters for books. These two seem to provide abstracts and/or tables of content more frequently than others.

For journal articles this might be difficult – it usually works fine if you find them via Web of Science, but then again there are many good humanities journals that are not listed in the Web of Science indices (especially non-English journals). You could also try JSTOR and GoogleScholar. It is a bit of a hit & miss experience, so you’ll have to find out which work best for your needs…
daiyi

Post by daiyi »

I use both Columbia and UC libraries frequently for searches in the Humanities. In addition to abstracts, Columbia often provides chapter titles as well (though this appears to be related to publisher and date of publication).
raymond

Post by raymond »

Thanks for your both replies. I'll try them.