Some references in one group

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

raymond
Knows everything, can prove it

Some references in one group

Post by raymond »

Hello,

In the screen picture I am showing the upper example where I have some references in one place. I would like to show them in one group as it is shown in the below example.
http://skitch.com/jackriklar/dxwh1/scre ... t-08.26.24
I hope to your assistance and explanations.
Jon answered me that putting all citation like his example would give the results:
{Smith 2009 #3434; Fred 2010 #3243; Jones 2003 #2343}

But it didn't. Jon told me, later, that this solution of curly brackets doesn't work in Mellel. He wrote me:
" Mellel doesn't use curly brackets or semicolons. You simple make citation objects (colored blue) and place them next to each other (no space in between) to place them in the same citation group."
This solution didn't work neither.

I am looking to have an appropriate solution in Mellel.

TIA
nicka

Re: Some references in one group

Post by nicka »

Is it possible that you haven't been putting the reference information into one citation object? The role played by curly brackets in other applications is played by citation objects in Mellel.

Try this: Edit>Bibliography>Enter citation manually. A dialogue box will come up. Paste the text of the references that you want to appear together - Smith 2009 #3434; Fred 2010 #3243; Jones 2003 #2343 - into the top space in that box. Then click 'OK'.

Now you will see the citation text you have entered appear in the Mellel document, highlighted in blue. If you get this far you have solved the problem, I think. When you scan the document these references will be formatted together in one set of brackets: e.g. in APA they would look like '(Smith, 2009; Fred, 2010; Jones, 2003)'.

(Edited to emphasise 'one' in first paragraph.)
ozean

Post by ozean »

Since you have also posted this question on the Bookends forum, I added my answer to your question there. I also try to take nicka’s suggestion into account there. Here is the link: https://www.sonnysoftware.com/phpBB3/vi ... 046#p12046
raymond

Post by raymond »

Nicka, I am try to get to your answer.
In my Bookends version (the last one) I do not have the find in the Edit menu the command: Bibiliography. Can you elaborate more on this>
TIA
raymond

Post by raymond »

Ozean,

As I wrote above, I asked the question first on the bookends forum, and only when Jon couldn't help me, as mentioned above, I came to this forum, since apparently, it is a problem with Mellel to solve.
nicka

Post by nicka »

I suggest we all continue this on the thread in the Bookends forum. I've just posted a reply there.

Edit: just a quick reply to your latest question, which I've just noticed. I was talking about the Edit menu in Mellel!
DylanMuir

Post by DylanMuir »

Just so the solution is here, if you cut a citation object and paste it next to another in Mellel, the two citations will be combined into a single object (and group citation). The original poster could have corrected their problem by cutting and pasting the errant citations.

DRM