Some Questions on Footnotes

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

J A Miller
Got the styles thing figured out

Some Questions on Footnotes

Post by J A Miller »

I have done a quick search and did not find the answers, so I hope someone is able to help. I am a novice and am using Mellel 2.5, BTW.

Regarding footnotes:
1) Is there a way to move from one footnote to a subsequent or previous footnote using a keyboard command or must I always use the mouse to click into the next footnote?
2) Is there a way to apply a new paragraph style to all footnotes at the same time?
3) How do I set a tab in the footnote so that each footnote begins at the same point after the note number?
[Edit: I have figured out how to set a Tab using the Footnote Small paragraph setting, but even when I edit the note attribute to use the format #. TAB, it does not seem to affect the note. Why?]
4) A problem: I am inserting text with footnotes into one Mellel document from another Mellel document. However, the inserted text with footnote begins the numbering at 1, rather than continuing in the number with the current stream. I have attempted to edit the note attributes and have ensure the settings are the same, but still the numbering for the copied/inserted text with footnote remains at 1...2...etc. I would really appreciate any help on this.

Thanks in advance.
JAM
suavito
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Some Questions on Footnotes

Post by suavito »

1) To my knowledge there is no key code to move between footnotes.

2) Yes. Under Edit/Insert/Note/Edit note attributes … you can set the Note Style for all notes at once. It is the whole idea behind styles to have one place to set the attributes for all elements of one type, wether paragraph or character.

3) In the same settings you can choose #. + Tab. If it doesn't affect your footnotes my guess is that maybe not Footnote Small is the Note Style set to the note stream you are using and the active one has no tabs. Just a guess, of course. Check all settings, starting with the ones mentioned in 2).

4) The behaviour you describe is correct. Once you paste text into other text the footnotes of the pasted text are pasted into the footnote stream of the target text and they get renumbered the way footnote numbering is set in the target text. The options are: Continuous, Restart every page, Restart every section, Restart every page range. What you see probably is Continuous and what you want Restart every section. Change the settings and add Section breaks via Insert/Breaks were you want them to be.

And by the way … this looks like you're working with the "I don't trust Word a bit and therefore I put every chapter into a single file and merge them later" method. In Mellel land there is no need for that. Mellel is made for handling huge texts with a gazillion of notes.
The finger is the most popular bird.
J A Miller

Post by J A Miller »

Actually, it is the result of having written my original thesis in Scrivener. I then had to revise my thesis structure, so I started a new document and began to cut/paste into my new writing according to my new plan. This was not the best way to approach a revision, but there were a lot of other factors involved here, including a major transition from Win to OS X during the writing of my thesis and a major switch in all softwares involved.
suavito

Post by suavito »

I must apologize if my little "suspicion" offended you. That wasn't at all my intention.

Switching always brings a lot of hassle. It's 2010 and it still does. Sigh.

The combo of Scrivener and Mellel in my opinion is a good—though not flawless—choice and I use them too (together with Bookends).
J A Miller

Post by J A Miller »

No offense taken. I too use BE--great programs all.
ozean

Post by ozean »

suavito wrote:1) To my knowledge there is no key code to move between footnotes.
And I would guess that many people would love a fix for this behavior… :)
suavito

Post by suavito »

And the functionality is, at least in general, already there: If you do a search for *anything* and only in footnotes you get moved to the next or the previous footnote, depending on what search direction you choose. If both of these searches only got menu entries …
J A Miller

Post by J A Miller »

suavito wrote:4) The behaviour you describe is correct. Once you paste text into other text the footnotes of the pasted text are pasted into the footnote stream of the target text and they get renumbered the way footnote numbering is set in the target text. The options are: Continuous, Restart every page, Restart every section, Restart every page range. What you see probably is Continuous and what you want Restart every section. Change the settings and add Section breaks via Insert/Breaks were you want them to be.

And by the way … this looks like you're working with the "I don't trust Word a bit and therefore I put every chapter into a single file and merge them later" method. In Mellel land there is no need for that. Mellel is made for handling huge texts with a gazillion of notes.
Unfortunately, I am still unable to merge the new notes into the current notestream. I am at a complete loss. I have checked all settings and selected "Restart every page range." I am using page style breaks. Do I need to use a different type of break to denote a page range?