Space between running header and text

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Boban
Knows everything, can prove it

Space between running header and text

Post by Boban »

Typically I regulate the space between running headers and the body text by adding empty rows in the header itself. However, I've now noticed that this approach results in the tops of footnote numbers missing in the top row of text when printed.

Any tips?

Thanks.

B.
DRB

Re: Space between running header and text

Post by DRB »

I am not sure how you are making your headers. I find no such problem as you describe,
My method is: place your cursor at the top of the page and press the mouse button, and Mellel 2.9 then shows the Insert Element/Insert Mention item. From the Insert Mention part choose what you want to insert. Alternatively, you can simply type your running header text in while the Insert Element/Insert Mention item is still showing. Then press your extra spaces as you desire.
When you start to type your first line of body text, with a footnote symbol in it, the footnote symbol shows up fine. At least, it does for me.

Don Broadribb
DylanMuir

Post by DylanMuir »

Don, did you check some printed output? The original post states that the problem was observed after printing.

Boban, if it's really a bug you should also report it to Redlers support.

DRM
Boban

Post by Boban »

Yes, it's the printed output that's the problem. I'd be grateful for any tips—publisher waiting.

B.
nicka

Post by nicka »

I suspect that people are having difficulty reproducing the problem. Does it show up in pdf output too? If so, you could upload one that shows it. That might help us to see how to reproduce it or work around it.
DRB

Post by DRB »

I have still had no success in reproducing your problem. I have now had opportunity to try various types of printouts to recheck, and the results have invariably been the same. The only thing that I can suggest is a problem with your printer setup, or even with your printer itself. Have you checked the minimum margins which your printer requires in order to print text properly? It is just possible that your text's page-setup has less than the minimum top margin which your printer requires, though in trying that out to see if that might be the cause, by setting my top page-margin at 0 points, I found that my printer (en Epson T50) simply printed whatever part of my text was located starting at the minimum margin required by the printer, and simply ignored whatever my text page had in the non-printable zone.

Don Broadribb
Feanaaro
Already downloaded the guide

Post by Feanaaro »

I have experienced the same problem, and it shows both in print, pdf and within mellel itself.
Also, it does not seem to matter what is in the header or how is it inserted, the problem shows anyway.
nicka

Post by nicka »

To check: you say that this can be seen in Mellel? Can you tell us the details that trigger it? e.g. typeface, point size, line spacing. (I ask because I can't work out how to reproduce this -- note numbers show up fine in the top line of text on a page for me.) Better yet, could you upload an example file?
Feanaaro
Already downloaded the guide

Post by Feanaaro »

I have not figured what is the detail that trigger the mis-visualisation. However, I noticed that I was wrong, there are cases in which the problem shows and others in which it does not, so it may depends (or not) from the way the header is inserted, as previously conjectured. But when the problem is there, it shows within mellel, in print, in pdf, everywhere.

I would attach a file which shows the problem, but forgive my ignorance, how do I upload files in this forum? I don't see the function. Should I also include other materials? Styles etc? And if so, how?
Boban

Post by Boban »

It seems that in order to include an example of the PDF with the problem I need to have a URL to which I can upload a sample. I'll try to find a way to do this, but in the meantime I have a publisher waiting. Let's hope they don't complain at this stage.

B.
Boban

Post by Boban »

Ok, Here is an example where the top of a footnote is clipped. This happens to any footnotes numerals (and some tall caps) at the top of a page.

Thanks for your help.

best,http://s1076.photobucket.com/albums/w454/Svatopluk1970/
DRB

Post by DRB »

I agree that you should consult the Mellel support about this.

In any event, the simplest temporary solution is to lower the top line of text of any page that suffers from this problem by either lowering the baseline by a couple of points (use the baseline shift item in the Character Appearance palette, down to, say, -2) or by lowering the top line of text by, say, two points or more using the Alignment and Spacing palette if the top line of your text happens to begin a paragraph. In which case be sure you have ticked the "also at top of pg/col" box in that palette. You might find the Character Appearance method more to your liking.

Out of curiosity, does the problem occur with all fonts, or only certain ones? And with all paragraph types, or only certain ones?

Don Broadribb
ahankinson

Post by ahankinson »

Also, does the problem manifest itself if you add some paragraph spacing above?

The "proper" way to regulate space after a heading is to use the paragraph styles and add spacing above or below. It sounds to me like you're not using that, but are instead adding a couple carriage returns after your heading.

I suspect the problem is that the superscript for the footnote text is conflicting with either the "above" spacing for your paragraph style (i.e., you're adding enough space above to fit the text in), below your heading style (i.e., your heading style is adding itself on top of your paragraph style, clipping off the superscript), or some combination thereof.

You should also mention which font you are using. That would help too.
Boban

Post by Boban »

The font is Warnock Pro, and no, I am not merely 'adding a couple of carriage returns' after a heading. In fact, it makes no difference where within a paragraph the text falls. Any text that comes at the top of a page and has a footnote, gets clipped.

B.
ahankinson

Post by ahankinson »

I'm sorry -- I thought that's what you meant by "adding rows" after the header.

Does changing the font make a difference?