Not a bug, but … (vers. 3.x)

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

jbq
Got the auto-title mojo working

Not a bug, but … (vers. 3.x)

Post by jbq »

I stumbled over a few new settings in 3.X, settings, that seem to be “fixed” and are contrary to the workflow I'm used to (< 2.9). Maybe other users have the same issue but don't mention it.
1) New documents always open in the middle of the screen, not at the position the previous window has been located. I have to drag each new document to the preferred location.
2) When opening older documents (created before 3.X), all documents have by default two settings “on” (despite my Preferences):
- - show ruler [which is a new feature, I know]
- - show toolbar [already existent in previous versions, but according to my Preferences it should be “off”]
To get ride off them is not the main problem, although annoying enough (I have approx. 4000 Mellel documents on my hard disc). I created two shortcuts to hide both ruler and toolbar --- but in the second case not only the toolbar vanishes, the document itself “shrinks”, too. Because I’m working with a rather small screen (MBP 13''), I have to reset each and every window again.
So, for the next smaller revision, please:
- Integrate a new item “show ruler” in the Preferences / General / Show options
- And, more important: The personal settings of “Show option” should override other settings, even when introducing a new feature.

BTW: Same bug here, as mentioned in another thread: Quicklook plugin only works for new documents or documents once again opened and saved.

Thanks
JBQ

MacBook Pro (2009) with OS 10.6.8
Bulow
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Not a bug, but … (vers. 3.x)

Post by Bulow »

I agree, and now we are at it, could we also, please, NOT have the line numbers automatically on in imported documents? (This is a renewal of a request from 18 March).
Bülow
Declan

Post by Declan »

Ah, I thought the automatic line numbers was my fault. Now it seems that I am not the only one.
Yes, that is a pain in the neck area. Please fix this.
Thanks,

Declan
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

• Regarding new documents, we've indeed changed the default setting for the document placement, we will see what we can do to improve the ability to control this. In the meanwhile, try using a default template to overcome this.
• Regarding opening older documents. This indeed not perfect, we are not importing the settings correctly (btw, "Show Ruler" is not new)
• There is a preference item for show ruler, it's called "Paragraph Ruler" (yes, this is inconsistant)
• Quicklook - we are aware of the problem - a solution is very near
• Not sure I understood the comment about the shrinking of the document...
• "Automatic" line numbers - never saw this, maybe I've missed or overlooked the previous reports - please contact us directly and send us a sample file so we'll be able to fix this for the next version.
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
jbq
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by jbq »

First of all: Thank you for the reply!

Please excuse my imprecise description / language about "shrinking", I try to explain it in other words:
Hiding the toolbar, in contrast to other "hide xyz" actions, results in a vertical reduction of the whole document (from the lower edge of the screen, approx. 1 or 1.5 cm). The reduction is critical because I don't have much space (13'' screen), in particular it affects the "being able to see the whole writing aera / page".
I don't see any reason for this behavior, and I don't remember it from earlier days. Maybe it is possible to get this on the revision list, too.

Thanks again and all the best,
JBQ
Bulow

Post by Bulow »

I tried to reproduce my old problem of the automatic line numbering for Eyal, but lo and behold: it is gone. I think I had it quite recently, but now the problem appears to have been solved.
Bülow